Tell Me: List the selling points for having fixed IP (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming

vite -> Tell Me: List the selling points for having fixed IP (6.Dec.2001 1:15:00 PM)

Hi All

My problems with setup I now find seem to stem from the fact that not only do we use dynamic IP, but that dynamic IP is behind a NATs router ! British Telecom ADSL - dratt

So how do I sell fixed IP to tha boss

Cheers an thanks all

Vite

playtime -> RE: Tell Me: List the selling points for having fixed IP (9.Dec.2001 2:18:00 AM)

Find out where his kids go to school.
U know the rest....

Otherwise - buying your own domain name and hosting your own servers is the trick.

JaimeP -> RE: Tell Me: List the selling points for having fixed IP (9.Dec.2001 9:00:00 PM)

I'm not going to list the pluses of a static IP, but I will list the problems with a dynamic IP.

I have two dynamic IPs and I host my own domain names, DNS server, email server, web server, etc. When one of those IPs change, I have to modify my DNS entry for internic. It really sucks and for 2-3 days will not work. If you are doing anything for business, you can't afford to not have a static IP. That IP wont change on you and you shouldn't have any downtime because the IP changed.

Hope this helps.

------------------
-JaimeP
ISA Server Game/Apps Port List

Jez -> RE: Tell Me: List the selling points for having fixed IP (10.Dec.2001 3:34:00 PM)

What about using a service such as DYNU. I use it (its an NT service, runs in the background on NT, or as an app in 9x), it dynamically maps a web address (www.cableserver.co.uk in my case) to my dynamic IP. If my IP changes, it instantly updates its DNS servers.

Im not exactly sure how it works, as from my understanding the DNS change would have to propogate all around the internet (48 hours etc), but updates seem pretty instant. I think their DNS records are created so root DNS queries go to their DNS servers first, and dont cache the result.

Anyway, as I said, not sure how it works, but it does!
www.dynu.com (i use the premium service which allows www.mydomain.com, or you can use the free basic server which gives www.mydomain.dynu.com)

------------------
Regards,
Jeremy
email: jeremy@cableserver.co.uk
www: www.cableserver.co.uk
MSN Messenger: jeremybcooke@hotmail.com

Two books I would highly recommend:

(Click an image to see the book at amazon)

Page: [1]