• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

UT2K3 and other games

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> UT2K3 and other games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UT2K3 and other games - 6.Sep.2002 3:18:00 PM   
cjay

I have a number of users who legitimately need access to certain game servers on the web (thru ISA using the FW client). Although some games work, others such as UT2K3, BF1942 and Gamespy Arcade don't. Am I better off using packet filters or protocol definiations in order to properly manage this traffic?

Thanks

CJ
Post #: 1
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 6.Sep.2002 6:47:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi CJ,

I'm moving this to the games section. Better chance you'll get some useful responses.

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 2
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 7.Sep.2002 10:25:00 PM   
Kaj Drost

Hi,

Most definately protocol definitions. They will work, as soon as you know the port just make the appropriate definitions and you are free to enter any game. It takes soem work and time to figure out but hey they will love ya for it.

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 3
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 9.Sep.2002 2:57:00 PM   
cjay

Cheers for that Kaj, is there a science to working out whether the traffic is send/receive/send-receive/receive-send?

CJ

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 4
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 14.Sep.2002 9:19:00 AM   
gregorymc

Protocol Definitions are not going to help you. Even with a protocol definition of "All IP Traffic" and using the Firewall client (which means it will allow any possible protocol through), I am not able to play UT2k3 or 1942. This is going to need an addition to the firewall client configuration similar to what is needed for playing games on the zone. The trick is finding out which ports are in use here. If anyone finds out please post it.

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 5
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 6.Oct.2002 4:56:00 AM   
methylamine

I really feel your pain. It took me quite a few hours to figure out:

Here's how it's working for me:

Create the following PROTOCOL DEFINITIONS:
7779 udp s/r
7778 udp s/r
7777 udp s/r
28902 tcp out
28901 tcp out
28900 tcp out

Create a PROTOCOL RULE that allows all the above.

Create an IP PACKET FILTER that allows:
28902 tcp both

I'm not certain all are necessary, but this is working now.

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 6
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 6.Oct.2002 11:51:00 PM   
obsidian009

I think we may all have different setups and scenarios and we may all need slightly different configs for getting UT2K3 working properly. For instance, my ISA box is tri-homed.

Another factor is the placement of the UT2k3 server. First I tried running it on a web server in the DMZ and using IP packet filters, no success. Then I tried placing on a server on the internal network and publishing it...no success. Now I'm trying to put the UT2k3 server on the firewall server itself. I have not been able to get this stupid thing working properly since demo and now I even own the game.

Note: In all of the above scenarios, I was able to connect to the game server over the Internet, I just couldn't communicate properly with the master server so it wouldn't show up on the master list. It seems as though the master server is able to communicate with it (TCP 28902 IN), but it cannot talk back (TCP 28902 OUT). Because I continually receive request for heartbeat from master server, but am never assigned a match ID.

This is getting frustrating. I've invested many hours into trying to get this working. I'd be more than happy to assist anyone in creating a how-to guide for UT2K3 with ISA server to post here.

You can download the server only program for free now, so let's get some more people out there downloading it and trying to get it running! Visit www.unrealtournament2003.com to download the server only program.

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 7
RE: UT2K3 and other games - 19.Oct.2002 12:42:00 AM   
jgisler

Figuring out the ports is easy. Use a packet sniffer or better yet, tcpdump.

As much as I like the ease of ISA, IPtables is still alot more configurable & alot easier to make rules for. =) If you know IPtables.

(in reply to cjay)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> UT2K3 and other games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts