• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

XBOX Live

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> XBOX Live Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
XBOX Live - 31.Oct.2002 4:25:00 AM   
shikwan

According to Microsoft XBOX won't work on a hub. I have my Comcast ISP cable modem connected to my multi-homed server running ISA and DHCP. This box is connected to a hub as is my XBOX. I just simply set my XBOX to use a gateway and....blam! Connection thru a software based router via a hub! I don't think I really need the protocols/rules that microsoft said to create either.
Hope this will help any future xbox live users.

shikwan@hotmail.com

[ January 16, 2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: shikwan ]
Post #: 1
RE: XBOX Live - 15.Nov.2002 11:57:00 PM   
weekapaug

hey ..no go here with Live. AT the billing region it says Xbox Live is not responding.... I run an ISA..let me know.

xbox.com said something about opening UDP Port 88 and TCP and UDP ports 3074...i just don't know how to set up the appropriate prot def...any help would be appreciate??

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 2
RE: XBOX Live - 17.Nov.2002 6:49:00 AM   
oski97

I too am having problems getting the Xbox to see the outside world. It's getting an IP address from the ISA Server, but no luck on the firewall. I tried to set up protocol definitions for the ports, but it didn't seem to do anything.

As I am a newbie and haven't been able to read Tom's Bible yet, can anyone out there give us gamers a hand?

Thanks!

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 3
RE: XBOX Live - 18.Nov.2002 7:34:00 PM   
iloveisa

http://www.xbox.com/support/con-isa.htm

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 4
RE: XBOX Live - 20.Nov.2002 2:45:00 AM   
shikwan

Of course, I have come to find that the protocols need to be added and a rule needs to be set to use them. In my case I defined 2 Protocols:

Xbox live 1 (3074 TCP)
Xbox live 2 (3074 UDP)

I then created a rule to use these protocols as well as DNS Query (53 UDP) & Kerbos-Sec(UDP) (88 UDP) which are already defined.

NOW: If you get a message saying "Xbox Live is not responding. Please try later"

That may/may not be ISA related. I got this message trying to get an update for MotoGP time & time again UNTIL...I directly connected my Xbox to the cable modem....hmmm...Can't be because of the router...maybe there should be more ports that should be opened that MS didn't say? To bad I can't sniff data when it's directly connected! [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 5
RE: XBOX Live - 20.Nov.2002 5:28:00 AM   
iloveisa

StrangeÓ. mine goes trough the isa fineÓmy Xbox goes trough 3 routers to get out; even goes wireless and it worksÓ in any case this is my configuration:
˛ I used MicrosoftĂs recommendations on the isa as u did (donĂt forget the fully open site/content rule)
˛ xbox connected in private LAN on a hub
˛ xbox configured as a dhcp client
˛ default gateway and dns server itĂs an internal w2k server router which its a firewall & secureNAT client of the isa
˛ isa connected to internet

[ November 20, 2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: iloveisa ]

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 6
RE: XBOX Live - 20.Nov.2002 8:11:00 PM   
shikwan

It IS strange iloveisa, but when I talked to tier one support over at xbox live, either they harldy heard of this problem or they only had "a few" calls like it. Howerver, if you check out the XBOX Live forums, you'll see many, many people are experiancing this problem. By directly connecting mine is how I solved it (I had no intention on waiting for tier 2 support to "call me back").

To further the mystery; I've seen some who say they resolved this issue by upping their MTU and yet another who believes that this issue only effects the older model Xboxs (of which I own).

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 7
RE: XBOX Live - 21.Nov.2002 12:23:00 AM   
oski97

Interesting: I direct connected my Xbox to my DSL modem and it connected me through the registration process just fine. Once I verified I could play online, I reconnected it to the LAN with my ISA Router/Firewall. Now, everything works fine.

Are the problems I experienced before only related to the registration process?

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 8
RE: XBOX Live - 21.Nov.2002 3:51:00 AM   
iloveisa

HmmÓ well I did as oski97 ( created my account on the dmz, played live then connected it to the LAN and configured the isa as Microsoft recommended I got no problems ) Ó. hmmm I also have an older model xbox (nov 15 2001) [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 9
RE: XBOX Live - 21.Nov.2002 11:07:00 AM   
shikwan

The same here my xbox; 11/15/2001. I also had this problem with the registration process Oski, which I solved by directly connecting (I didn't think much of it at the time out of sheer joy from being a beta tester). People are experiencing this problem in either the registration process, playing MotoGP, or in my case, both.

Again, after I solved these issues with direct connect, I then placed the xbox back on my lan-no problems connecting or playing any online games since.

I'm also wondering if the ISA was filtering out packets which caused this. Was the packets being sent fragmented or was the ISA overdoing it's job...? Maybe we can find out when the first download comes for some of the games.

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 10
RE: XBOX Live - 7.Dec.2002 1:01:00 AM   
jgisler

Logically, sounds like a port isn't available.
Run tcpdump & see what it's doing.

The only thing I like about ISA is the VPN portion. ISA has no REALTIME viewing. Sure you can parse logs.

My *nix firewalls run all games with no extra rules ever needing to be created.

[ December 18, 2002, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: jgisler ]

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 11
RE: XBOX Live - 24.May2005 9:45:00 AM   
toodles

k u guys i think i got it all to work for me. after u create the two protocol def u then have to create them again in the ip packet filter section of the isa server. then after u create a protocol rule and add the two protocol def u created : Kerberos-Sec (UDP); Port 88; UDP; Send Receive DNS Query (UDP); Port 53; Send, 3074 over UDP Send/Receive.,3074 over TCP Outbound. dont for get the site and content rule . u should have four protocles in the protocol rule section. then restart services then it should work .

(in reply to shikwan)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> XBOX Live Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote