• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 1.Jun.2003 12:28:00 PM   
-NickM-

Has anyone been able to get Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory working through ISA. (Client or Server)

I sent a request to ID Software support, who were very quick to respond, although not entirely helpful.

Apart from stating "NOTE: Activision does not support the use of routers or firewalls." and suggesting I try the forums at www.planetwolfenstein.com, they provided me with the following:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein relies on Internet communication via the IP protocol and UDP ports 27950, 27960, 27965 and 27952. These are the ports that the game uses for connection, message of the day, server browsing, and so forth.

After setting up rules (I thought) appropriate for these, the game now hangs when attempting to retreive the server lists.
(After removing the rules, the game now just doesn't find any servers again.)

I will connect a PC to the internet directly with a Sniffer on, as soon as I get the chance.

But in the mean time, any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 3.Jun.2003 2:31:00 AM   
costapacket

Any luck with this Nick?

Paul

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 2
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 3.Jun.2003 1:29:00 PM   
-NickM-

Not so Far, All I can find is other people complaining about NAT problems.

I have found several people who have decided that there is no way to make this work through a NAT connection (Not just ISA).
It doesn't actually seem to be a firewall problem, seems the software can't handle network address translation properly.

I hooked a Machine directly to the internet with a packet sniffer running and found that it also uses UDP port 27951.

Most of the conversation used port 27960 though.

I'm setting up an ISA server at the moment to try running the game directly on.

Theory being I can start a dedicated server on the ISA Server, NAT will not be a problem.

My internal PCs can connect using the Local network option, Outsiders can connect via the internet.

You probably couldn't slip this configuration on at work without any one noticing though.

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 3
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 5.Jun.2003 7:52:00 PM   
shigum

Most likely you'll need to define protocol definitions in the policy elements that specify the particular ports and whether it's using tcp or udp transmission to get ISA to pass traffic thru. Check on this page here to see how to create definitions. Once you create these, you should then be able to add the rule to allow your client to connect or to publish your server.

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 4
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 6.Jun.2003 3:39:00 AM   
cgrace1970

ET is working for me just fine. Previously, in the Gaming forum, I posted a solution to Army Operations. It opened the necessary ports for using the GameSpy network. I'm assuming these same settings will work with ET, since they do allow me to set up most games (new & old). I also have the firewall client on the workstation I'm running the games on. Hope this helps.

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 5
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 31.Jul.2003 1:22:00 PM   
fsck

Have you found a solution to this yet? I can help you out with a windows solution, its a linux solution I need myself!

Cheers........

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 6
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 8.Aug.2003 1:45:00 PM   
Jedolus

ET is working fine for me with this setup (Protocol Definitions):
------------------------------
27965 UDP Send Receive
27960 UDP Send Receive
27952 UDP Send Receive
27951 UDP Send Receive
27950 UDP Send Receive
27965 TCP Outbound
27960 TCP Outbound
27952 TCP Outbound
------------------------------

I bet half of them isnt used...

The one that really fixed it for me was the serverbrowsing (27950). Before that i was only able to connect to spec. IP.

Good luck.

[ August 08, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Jedolus ]

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 7
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 16.Aug.2003 10:36:00 AM   
-NickM-

This works really easy !

I had to Re-Build my ISA Server for Hardware reasons, After Re-Build created 3 Protocol Definitions and a Protocol Rule for ET:

Definitions:
Wolf ET 27950 (SR) - UDP 27950 Send Receive
Wolf ET 27951 (SR) - UDP 27951 Send Receive
Wolf ET 27960 (SR) - UDP 27960 Send Receive

Rule:
Allows these Protocols always to client destination set which matches my DHCP Client range. (Not a Username/Authenticated method)

Extra notes:
Client PCs have both the Firewall Client Installed and are Configured with a default gateway of the ISA Server (Secure NAT Clients)

If I try to connect more that 2 ET client from inside my network, I have to open more high range UDP ports, Suited me to have a temporary rule to enable when needed for All IP Traffic.

My 512K ADSL seems to handle 3-4 client OK, although have had up to 8. The game lagged a bit too much though.

I Don't know why this didn't work on my previous ISA build ?

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 8
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 15.Dec.2003 1:34:00 AM   
scurfman

Thanks Jedolus, -NickM-;

I tried what worked for the two of you but still nada. I can't see the server list whether I'm at the gateway comp or client stations. Any more ideas, also I'm new to net.administration, so if you think there's something simple I'm missing, go ahead and call me on it.

PS -NickM- if your slowing down w/2 or more clients playing have you tried adding +set net_port 27660 to the command line of the first client then 27661 to the second and so on? I heard ET needs separate ports for each client playing behind a gateway. Thanks.

(in reply to -NickM-)
Post #: 9
RE: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 27.Dec.2003 4:00:00 PM   
Did your Punk Buster work with any of this? I am finding that it isnt updating!

[Frown]

(in reply to -NickM-)
  Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts