• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

C&C Generals Zero Hour

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> C&C Generals Zero Hour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C&C Generals Zero Hour - 16.Nov.2003 9:40:00 AM   
Diemar

Hi.

I'm haveing trouble getting generals zero hour to work behind a ISA firewall.

The game freezes and crashes when starting a online session.

Anyway, first things first....

Info from a zero hour readme file:

If your firewall does not allow outgoing packets to open ports to incoming traffic, or you experience problems connecting to other players, you will have to specify which port you want Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour to use for communicating with other players. You can specify that port in the "Firewall Port Override" field under the "Network Options" portion of the game's "Options" menu.

You will need to open the chosen port in your firewall for communication with players external to your firewall or NAT device. If you use the port override feature, the port you have chosen can not be masqueraded by a NAT device.

The game will need to talk to external servers that use the following port numbers. These ports need to be open in your firewall in order to play on Generals Zero Hour Online:

TCP ports:
80, 6667, 28910, 29900, 29920

UDP ports:
4321, 27900

More info from the readme file:

NOTE: This configuration is intended only for people experiencing connection problems from behind a SMC SMC7004VWBR Wireless Barricade Router/Firewall. Other SMC Routers may or may not work with similar setups. Before you attempt to configure your router please visit www.smc.com and download the latest firmware update.

1. To access the SMC Wireless Barricade's management interface, open your web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, etc.). In the address box enter http://192.168.2.1 which is the default address for the SMC7004VWBR Wireless Router. Then click "Login". (By default there is no password.)

NOTE: If you changed the router's IP address or specified a password, then enter the new address in your web browser and specified password at the login screen. For more information, please consult your SMC User's Guide.

2. At the home page of the SMC management interface, click "Advanced Setup".

3. On the left hand side of the "Advanced Setup" screen click on "NAT" and then select "Special Application" from the sub menu.

4. On the "Special Application" screen you will need to set up an individual rule for each computer connected to your Router/Firewall to be used while playing Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour online. For each computer define the following settings.

TRIGGER PORT: Enter a port number that is used to initiate the connection. Do not use a standard port. For example, you can use 27901 for the first computer and 27902 for the second and so on. The trigger port must be unique for each computer.

TRIGGER TYPE: Select UDP, the protocol used by the game.

PUBLIC PORT: Enter the same port number here that you entered in the Trigger Port field for each computer.

PUBLIC TYPE: Select UDP, the protocol used by the game.

ENABLED: Check this box to enable the settings you entered for each computer.

NOTE: Write down each port number used in step 4. You'll need to know this for step 6.

5. Repeat step 4 for each computer connected to your Router/Firewall that is used to play Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour online. To finish click "Apply" and then close your web browser.

6. Now you must tell the game what port to use. Start Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour on each computer. At the Main Menu select "Options". At the bottom of the "Options" screen under "Network Options" look for "Firewall Port Override". In the dialog box type a port number that matches one of the port numbers entered in step 4. Then, on the same screen click "Refresh NAT". Click "Accept" to apply your settings and exit the "Options" screen.

7. Repeat step 6 for each computer connected to your Router/Firewall that is being used to play Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour online. Again, each computer must use a unique port number that matches one used in step 4.

8. You are now ready to play Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour online.

Also... looking in the isa logs the application game.dat is logged when running generals online.

All this leads me to beleive that im to add the following in the isa firewall client.

game RemoteBindUdp 27901
game KillOldSession 1
game Persistent 1

Dosnt work.

Can anyone help me out with zero hour?

Thomas
Post #: 1
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 21.Jan.2004 8:19:00 PM   
emanuel@emozes.com

Diemar,
Did you ever get your C&C Generals working behind ISA? Let me know. I have 44 machines that I need Generals to work and I am not having much luck.

Thanks

Emanuel

www.adrenaline-cafe.com

(in reply to Diemar)
Post #: 2
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 22.Jan.2004 2:44:00 PM   
emanuel@emozes.com

While searching through logs and the Internet I found this, that we might just need to modify the firewall client configuration on the server to allow for these extra ports - which by the way I did not see on the logs. Forget the part about the ALG and Wingate -that's what ISA does-I will be trying this later today and will comment on it. -- Emanuel

"Ok it works 100% now.

The problem: Generals and Zero Hour won't direct connect to an internet IP, when the computer it is running on has an IP in a different network range.

Solution: install an ALG. ALG stands for Application Level Gateway and will fool the program 100% into thinking that it is directly connected to the internet. The problem with the way I did it, is that only one person can direct connect from the network to the internet at a time. But this should be ok for most people.

For direct connect hosting, you will need to open the following ports on the internet server:
UDP 8086 - lobby
UDP 8088 - in game

Note that it is the game.dat file that handles all network communications and not the generals.exe.

On the client machine, you will need to add your current WAN (interenet IP) to the network cards' list. Do this by going to TCP/IP properties of your network card, then click on the advanced button and add your WAN IP under the "IP addresses" list (do not replace your network address).

Start up Generals/Zero Hour and click on the options menu. In the "Online IP" drop down box, select your WAN IP.

Now all you need to do is set up the ALG client and server. I used wingates' WGIC (WinGate Internet Client) . I have installed wingate 5.2.2 on the server, with NAT, some proxies and WGIC enabled. On the client machine I installed the WGIC and removed all applications from its "Applications" list.

I still use normal NAT for all internet tasks, but when I want to play direct connect, I toggle the WGIC on and play. Afterwards I switch it off again.
The WGIC will take over all network communication from the machine it is on. If you want to play on the official generals (GOL) servers, do not use the WGIC, use normal NAT. Remember to add your new online IP to the list your network card uses, each time it changes. "

(in reply to Diemar)
Post #: 3
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 7.Jul.2005 3:57:00 PM   
schtek

ok this posted a year half ago.. ilove zero hour any updates on this post for a ISA server 2004

would be much app before i go lay on the beach south of france for 5 weeks [Smile] [Eek!] [Cool]

(in reply to Diemar)
Post #: 4
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 28.Jul.2005 3:31:00 PM   
yeaitsjim

So yea I have also been trying to do this as well -
I've opened all the ports in the ranges they say to open allow them from "External" to "Internal", and set "game.dat" to disable = 1 in the firewall client setting. The game will allow me to go into the lobby and create games etc, which I can join then it will say "waiting for port number...connection complete" and then will show that only I load that that's it - it frezzes. If any knows anything about this and can help me, I would be most happy, this is the only game I can't get to work properly behind ISA. But EA games are notorious for silly networking problems.

(in reply to Diemar)
Post #: 5
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 12.Sep.2005 11:29:00 AM   
try a program called hamachi

(in reply to Diemar)
  Post #: 6
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 12.Sep.2005 11:32:00 AM   
hamachi will allow you to set up a virtual LAN over theinternet, you can have as many people connect to you as your connection will allow... it will work with any game (as far as I know) and its super simple.

when you get it set up (takes 2 mins - there are only 2 buttons) just open the game, (generals or zero hour) and under options make sure that your lan ip is the one displayed at the top of the hamachi window - then go to the lan lobby and you'll see all your pals. [Big Grin]

hope this helps someone...

(in reply to Diemar)
  Post #: 7
RE: C&C Generals Zero Hour - 22.Oct.2005 1:43:00 AM   
Yes, hamachi works great! Thanks

(in reply to Diemar)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> Gaming >> C&C Generals Zero Hour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts