• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Netmeeting data ok, video not

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Netmeeting data ok, video not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 3:56:00 PM   
spyros

Configured gatekeeper per MS support article "How to Configure the Gatekeeper Service in ISA Server to Allow Inbound Netmeeting Calls (Q288206)". Works for the most part - external netmeeting client can establish session with internal netmeeting client. However, no video. Chat, app sharing, etc work, but camera stream from internal client not making it to external client. Any thoughts?

Using the default H.323 app filter, set up the params to allow video, data, DNS. Created basic protocol rule using default H.323 protocol defn.

TIA for any suggestions!

Spyros
Post #: 1
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 5:30:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Check out the H.323 filter (not gatekeeper) configuration and make sure you have all options selected, esp. the video option.

If the data connection is working, you know that your setup is correct. I've found that when the video doesn't work, but everything else does, its probably a NetMeeting client config issue. But check out the filter configuration first.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 2
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 6:04:00 PM   
spyros

Hi Tom -
Love your articles and book, by the way!

H.323 filter has every checkbox checked on Call Control tab, and using the internal IP address of the ISA server for Gatekeeper location.

The Netmeeting clients set up as they were before ISA, except that the internal clients now register with the Gatekeeper, and the external clients use the ISA box as the Gateway. The internal client shows "Send Video", the external "Receive Video" in their menus, but no video goes through.

When I do a Netstat -na on the public IP for the ISA, I only see 1720. Shouldn't I see 522, 1731, 1503 etc?

Thanks!
Spyros

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 3
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 6:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Thanks for the kind words about the book! [Big Grin]

The gatekeeper will handle the connections required, so only 1720 is opened statically by the gatekeeper.

It sounds like you have everything set up correctly. Just a couple of other ideas:

1. Try *not* using a secure connection. Disable the secure connection option on the NetMeeting clients. I've had problems with that, which isn't to say that it doesn't work, its just that the one time I worked with secure connections, it didn't work right, but I haven't followed up on the problem.

2. Try disabling fragment filtering and see if that helps.

Are you using a DSL line? If so, there might be an MTU problem as well.

HTH<
Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 4
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 7:47:00 PM   
spyros

Never had the secure connection option set.

Am on DSL, but was on same everything, including DSL and it was working before I put ISA in the middle. Does ISA change the way the packets are transmitted over the IP connection?

I'll try disabling the fragment filtering asap, and post the results.

Re: the book and articles, I've been reading the articles online, and borrowed the book from a friend. Just went out at lunch today and bought the book!

ss

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 5
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 8:10:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Thanks for borrowing, and then buying the book [Big Grin]

Let us know what you find out after fragment filtering is disabled.

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 6
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 8:49:00 PM   
spyros

IP Packet Filters Properties/Packet Filters - I have no checkboxes checked, so fragment filtering was never enabled.

Am going to test duplicate configuration at another colleague's SOHO, to try to reproduce the behavior. Will post results.

ss

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 7
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 9:22:00 PM   
spyros

Nope - identical behavior when set up at another SOHO. Can get data portions working, video does not go. Wow. Any suggestions for debugging???
ss

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 8
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 9:26:00 PM   
spyros

Point of clarification - no audio coming through either. Just data.

The video and audio do work internally between two netmeeting clients behind the ISA server. The problem is specifically A/V from inside to outside.

ss

[ March 29, 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Spyros Sakellariadis ]

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 9
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 9:40:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Are you using PPPoE? Perhaps the MTU change noted in Q259783 will help?

In the H.323 Filter properties dialog box, have you confiured it to use the internal interface of the ISA Server?

In the Gatekeeper dialog box, Network tab, have you selected *only* the internal network adapter?

Are you allowing anonymous access for all protocols?

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 10
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 9:53:00 PM   
spyros

Are you using PPPoE? [No, fortunately. Neither at my lab, nor my associates' lab, both of which are having the same behavior.]

In the H.323 Filter properties dialog box, have you confiured it to use the internal interface of the ISA Server? [Yes]

In the Gatekeeper dialog box, Network tab, have you selected *only* the internal network adapter? [yes]

Are you allowing anonymous access for all protocols? [Site and content rules set to All destinations, all content, applies to any request. Protocol rule set to Any Request.]

One further datum. Don't have a camera at my external client end, only at internal client. However, audio from external client is going to internal client, whereas audio from internal to external is not. So it looks like the problem relates to outbound A/V. Is there something in the protocol rule that should be added???

Finally, under H.323 Gatekeepers/server/call routing/destinations, I see an entry in the details pane for the internal IP address. If I double click on that, I see options for destination types. I don't remember setting that up. Right now it shows Gateway or proxy selected - I tried moving to Gatekeeper, but that did not work either. What should this be set at?

Finally, when the call is in progress (and chat working, for example,), when I look a the gatekeeper it shows my internal client as an "Active Terminal", but shows NO Active Calls. Is that right? Or wierd?

Getting puzzleder by the minute!

Thanks a million for all your help.

ss

[ March 29, 2002, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Spyros Sakellariadis ]

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 11
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 29.Mar.2002 11:55:00 PM   
amesh

FYI..We are using Secure NAT behind the ISA server.

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 12
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 30.Mar.2002 12:19:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Aha! That may be the ticket! I believe that your client isn't using the Gatekeeper at all! Its just using the H.323 Protocol Rule [Smile]

Is the client configured to use the Gatekeeper? If there is an active call, it will show up there. Also, make sure the client is configured as a SecureNAT client too (just in case) [Big Grin]

It definitely not right that you're able to use the chat feature and not have the call show up as active.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 13
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 1.Apr.2002 3:59:00 PM   
spyros

The "Active Sessions" thing was a distraction - apparently a refresh issue on the screen. Everything appears to be working perfectly, without any change of settings from before... provided the external client is not at my desktop at the office. My associate and I were both able this weekend to establish sessions external netmeeting client <--> netmeeting client behind ISA (our respective home offices) when that external client is generically "on the Internet". It seems that something at our corporate office prevents this communication. On the other hand, it worked for both of us when we simply used Linksys routers at the home offices and not ISA boxes. Interesting feature, huh?

The only reference I can find to something similar is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313410 , but I have to believe that there are sufficient Cisco routers for the other external clients that do work, and, besides, my ISA is at SP1.

For my part, I'm able to do what I need, so I'm logging off this conversation. However, happy to continue the discussion 'for academic purposes', or to test configs further if it would help anyone else. Tom - thanks for all your suggestions!

Spyros

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 14
RE: Netmeeting data ok, video not - 1.Apr.2002 9:21:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Spyros,

Good to hear you got it working! Would be nice to know exactly what the problem was with the Cisco 'gateways' and what they mean by gateway. I wonder if they just meant gateway as in router, or perhaps a NAT device, or something else?

Thanks for the follow up!

Tom

(in reply to spyros)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Netmeeting data ok, video not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts