• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 14.Jun.2002 5:33:00 PM   
BalajiS

How to enable IP Telephone (Net2Phone) behind the firewall?

Net2Phone IP Telephone requires the following information:
1. IP - Set to my internet range of IP.
2. Gateway - Set to my external IP of ISA Server.
3. DNS - Set to my internal DNS Server.

In the protocol rules I have Allowed Net2Phone and Net2Phone Registration protocols to Any request. It doesnt work.

Then I followed the instructions given to Tom for enabling H.323 Gatekeeper for Netmeeting. It didn't work.

Can anybody help me ?
Post #: 1
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 16.Jun.2002 8:16:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi BalajiS,

You don't need to use the Gatekeeper for Net2phone. You do need to use the Firewall client, however. I haven't worked out the exact protocol requirements, but I do know that an allow all rule with the Firewall client installed on the client will allow it to work.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 2
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 21.Jun.2002 2:11:00 PM   
BalajiS

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

Things work will with a firewall client installed on a desktop, with Yap Phone connected to the USB port of the destkop with a Protocol enable rule for Net2Phone and Net2Phone Server, as mentioned by you.

But, I am talking about a device (IP Phone for details click here - which resembles just like a normal phone), connected on one of the LAN port. IP Phone is not connected to a Computer, so there comes no question of installing firewall client, I have created a client address set for the IP Phone and enabled Allow all Protocols to that client address set.

Following are the configurations I have tried on the IP Phone.
1. IP - Set to my intranet range of IP.
2. Gateway - Set to my internal IP of ISA Server.
3. DNS - Set to my internal DNS Server.

But things don't work.

Is there anything wrong in the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 3
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 19.Jul.2002 3:59:00 PM   
srayner

I would say this is a non starter! Can you input an ip address in to the phone???? does it join a network???? What I think you need is a server using IP phone with appropriate software to run the app and then open ports to utilise this service. All clients will use this service, through the server.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but phones do not connect direct to the lan??

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 4
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 24.Jul.2002 4:34:00 PM   
BalajiS

Dear Sr66,

Please go through the following URL http://www.net2phone.com/jump/hardware/ipphone/ to learn more about IP Phone.

Yes, the IP Phone can be hooked on to the LAN with RJ45 Jack and configured with TCP/IP parameters similar to the PC.

NOTE to TOM: TOM you have not given me your input in this specific issue. Expecting a reply from you.

Regards,

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 5
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 26.Jul.2002 10:00:00 AM   
srayner

Hi Bajalis
My ignorance, should have looked first.
Have you got caching enabled on ISA?

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 6
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 30.Jul.2002 12:10:00 AM   
Super T

Balaji, I too have the same issue with the same IP Phone. I am connected to workstation, have DHCP enabled, all settings from this side seem correct. ISA will not allow me thru however. I have tried playing with the way the ports are set for net2phone on the ISA. did you check to see if port 6801 is listening? even though i have published the rules etc.. the port does not seem to be enabled.

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 7
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 30.Jul.2002 6:31:00 AM   
BalajiS

Super T,

Even after opening all the ports for the IP assigned to the IP Phone, things did not work. I don't think that it is an issue with the ports. It has got something to do with the Architecture and the way IP Phone functions. I believe IP Phones support H.323 Gatekeeper and SIP. I have tried all possible combinations in ISA. I have tried CISCO ATA 186 (Voice Box), which is based on open architecture unlike net2phone. Nothing worked out for me.

NOTE TO SR66: Yes caching is enabled.

Regards,

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 8
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 30.Jul.2002 9:18:00 AM   
srayner

Hi Bajalis
In your IP phone documentation, it states that the phone will not work with proxy caching enabled.
That might be worth noting as a potential problem.
SR66

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 9
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 6.Aug.2002 6:17:00 PM   
Super T

Hey All,
I killed the caching on ISA and still had no luck whatsoever. I too think its a port issue. As soon as I cut ISA out of the picture (direct out of DSL modem) I am able to log into the OPAL server and gain access to the Net2Phone VoIP network, so I know the phone works. Of course thats not the point ....

Good luck!

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 10
RE: HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall - 7.Aug.2002 10:46:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

I think there are several problems:

1. You can't make the IP Phone a H.323 Gatekeeper client because of the configuration interface on the phone doesn't all it,

and/or/maybe

2. You can't make the IP Phone a Fireall client, and therefore cannot utilize secondary connections.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to BalajiS)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> HELP on Enabling IP Telephone through ISA Firewall Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts