• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper - 3.Sep.2004 10:24:00 PM   
legalfee

We have a Polycom FX video conference system that uses ISDN but is also connected to out LAN. We would like to allow users to connect from outside the ISA server. The question is what's the best way to do it. I presume I don't need to use the H323 gatekeeper in ISA server. I just need to open some ports up (protocol / server publishing). The Polycom setup is confusing to say the least. Any help would be most appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper - 5.Sep.2004 1:59:00 PM   
ljp1967

Hi legalfee,

Found this on the Polycom site....might help when trying to configure your ISA....(that's if your are using ViaVideo 3.0)

Configuring a firewall to work with ViaVideo
To configure your ViaVideo to operate with your firewall, you will need to open some ports so that ViaVideo can send and receive audio and video traffic.
Note* These instructions are only for ViaVideo software version 3.0. Before continuing, be sure to have ViaVideo 3.0 installed on your system.

In this guide, "firewall" is the term used to designate any hardware or software which is blocking ports on your network, such as a router, modem, proxy, or firewall.

Pre-configuration

Before you start to configure your firewall, determine the internal IP address of the PC running ViaVideo. To do so, launch the ViaVideo application and look in the System Information screen for "IP Address."

The exact steps and terms used may be different in your firewall interface. For example, the Linksys firewall interface software refers to assigning ports as "Forwarding," while the Cisco firewall interface refers to it as "Port to Application Mapping." However your firewall interface describes it, the concepts and tasks below remain the same.

Configuration

There are two steps involved. First you open the ports in your firewall, and second you set the ViaVideo software to use the ports you've opened.

Step 1: In your firewall interface:

Open a range of ports in your firewall. It is recommend that the default ports: 3230-3235 for TCP and UDP are opened.

Open port 1720 in your firewall for TCP and UDP. This port must be open for ViaVideo to receive incoming calls.

Open port 1503 in your firewall for TCP and UDP. This port must be open for ViaVideo to send and receive data (chat, whiteboard, file and application sharing.)

Open port 3603 in your firewall for TCP and UDP. This port must be open for ViaVideo to utilize the web interface.

Assign the newly opened ports to the PC running ViaVideo.
In some firewall interfaces, opening and assigning port numbers is performed in one step.
In some firewall interfaces, you assign the ports to an IP address, while in others you assign the ports to an application, in this case ViaVideo. Either way works fine.

Verify that the ports are open in both directions. Some firewall interfaces by default open the ports outgoing only, so make sure all the ports mentioned above are opened in both directions (incoming and outgoing.)
Step 2: In the ViaVideo software

Go to the "Firewall/LAN Connection" screen by navigating to System Info>Setup>Lan and Internet>Firewall/LAN Connection.

Select the "Use Fixed Ports" option.

If you used the default port range when assigning the ports in your firewall interface, nothing needs to be changed, as ViaVideo automatically enters this range.
If you are using a different range, enter the port numbers for the range you used here. (Note: There must be 6 ports within the range, and the range must be consecutive.)

From investigation it might be an idea to look at the gatekeeper option in isa...
Will the Visual Concert FX function through a multi-point call?

Using the Visual Concert FX in a Mult-point call

Graphics can be transmitted through multi-point calls placed through the internal MCU of the ViewStation FX in either H.320 or H.323 calls.

With an Accord MGC with Release 3.01 or Release 4.0 software, Visual Concert FX and dual streams will function in H.320 or H.323 at the same 4CIF resolution as Visual Concert PC (704 x 576). Release 4.6 for the Accord MGC will support Visual Concert FX Dual Streams over H.320 and H323 at 1024 x 768 resolution

Does this system have it's own in-built web server, if so then it might be just as easy as doing a Web Publishing Rule.....

hope this helps,
ljp

[ September 05, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: ljp1967 ]

(in reply to legalfee)
Post #: 2
RE: Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper - 8.Sep.2004 4:14:00 PM   
legalfee

Thanks for the reply but we have a Polycom FX. I found this in the integraters manual:

Configuring the System to Operate Behind a Firewall
To make calls through a firewall, you must open the following ports
and assign them to the videoconferencing system:
Table 4-1. Firewall Ports to Open for Videoconferencing
Port Used for
389 (TCP) ILS registration
1503 (TCP) Microsoft NetMeeting T.120 data sharing
1718 (UDP) Gatekeeper discovery
1719 (UDP) Gatekeeper RAS (must be bidirectional)
1720 (TCP) H.323 call set-up (must be bidirectional)
1731 (TCP) Audio call control (must be bidirectional)
3230-3235
(TCP/UDP)
Signalling and control for audio, call, video, and
data/FECC
3603 (TCP) Web interface

(in reply to legalfee)
Post #: 3
RE: Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper - 21.Sep.2004 10:00:00 PM   
I have a Polycom VSX 7000 and am having the same problem. What's frustrating is that I can ping and tracert to an external host from the unit(lobby.austin.polycom.com) and the ping utility says its H.323 enabled, but calls fail to go through, and it tells me that it fails to register with the Gateway... (I tried every variant on the ViaVideo suggestion above...)

(in reply to legalfee)
  Post #: 4
RE: Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper - 22.Sep.2004 10:50:00 PM   
ljp1967

Hi seaconit,

Here is the link to the pdf doco....
http://www.polycom.com/common/pw_item_show_doc/0,1276,2065,00.pdf

Info on Page 77 of 216

HTH,
ljp

[ September 22, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: ljp1967 ]

(in reply to legalfee)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> H.323 Gatekeeper >> Polycom & H323 Gatekeeper Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts