• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Multiple ISP Connections

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> ISA Server Wish List >> Multiple ISP Connections Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiple ISP Connections - 21.Jan.2004 4:50:00 PM   
JohnBullinger

What I would like to see if ISA support redundant Internet connections. Should one go down another would take its place. Does anyoene know if the new version if ISA will support this feature?
Post #: 1
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 28.Jan.2004 11:06:00 AM   
orentrutner

Unfortunately, ISA Server 2004 does not add this feature.

[ January 28, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Oren Trutner [MSFT] ]

(in reply to JohnBullinger)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 28.Jan.2004 3:52:00 PM   
JohnBullinger

Will it support two ISP's in a non redundant way?? Or will it just not support two ISP's at all?? What is the multiple external networks for then?

Post #: 3
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 28.Jan.2004 9:06:00 PM   
orentrutner

You can connect any number of ISPs. Since the Internet is one large address range, they should all be mapped to the default External network.

You can publish services through both ISPs, and get some degree of fault tolerance there.

Forward access uses the ISP specified by the default route, which you can change manually if a failure occurs.

Post #: 4
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 28.Jan.2004 9:19:00 PM   
JohnBullinger

Ok, I just want to make sure im correct in what I want to do.

1) This feature is only available in ISA2004 and not ISA2000 Correct?

2) What I have is a remote office connecting in via VPN. I could have both ISP's running at the same time? If one link goes down I could have RRAS jump to a backup route? Correct?

3) I would have to manually change the default route if I wanted to have users behind (Internal) the ISA box to access the Internet. Correct?

Thanks!

John

Post #: 5
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 30.Jan.2004 1:09:00 AM   
AHIT

Hi John,

I do this right now (and have been for 3 odd years) with Win2K and ISA2K.
Have some "pinging service" (ipmonitor, serveralive etc etc) check an IP for the frame realy serial, or some other way to cehck that each link is up.
If perferred link goes down, do a :
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0..0
route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the new default gateway of your 2nd ISP.
as soon as your primary link comes up again set the default route abck to use it.

Due to default routing you cannot have both routes in use SIMULTANEOUSLY. You can sort of work aroudn this by having static routes to certain subnets so you can still access resources at both ISP's but then of course the link to that ISP MUST be up to get access.

You can even do this with a batch file.
This is not syntaxically (?) correct, but it gives the idea.

checkroutes.bat
ping -n 1 ISP1ipaddress > ISP1.txt
find "Reply from" ISP1.txt
if errorlevel such that text is found goto ISP1OK
:ISP1fail
ECHO You could test this again so as to stop link bouncing if the link is temporarily choked
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0
route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 ISP2gatway
goto waitamoment
:ISP1OK
ECHO ISP1 seems to be OK. You could test for ISP2 to make sure..
:Waitamoment
del ISP1.txt
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1
REM ping the local box 30 times to induce a time delay
:end
checkroutes.bat

Run the batch once and it'll keep looping through itself...
A bit of a hack but it'd work!
OF course this would bugger up and published mail-servers etc you may have but you could alwags vbscript those changes as well..

Best O' luck

Post #: 6
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 30.Jan.2004 3:07:00 PM   
JohnBullinger

So are there directions somewhere where I go and find out how to configure my ISA2000 box to allow more than one ISP. Right now my main concern is allowing data to come in from that 2nd pipe and of course return back out that pipe.

I.e. If my VPN goes down RRAS will autopmatically connect to that other ISP's NIC card on the iSA server. Would all traffic then go out that link for the vpn traffic?? Where can I find out how to do this.

Post #: 7
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 3.Feb.2004 8:54:00 AM   
jeff.hooper@rccorp.net

The Rainwain, rainconnect product actually works very well for that function I have tested it. The only complaint that I have about it, is that it adds a lot of latency for some reason. I might normally have 80ms response time with rainconnect that causes it to run at 400ms or higher. Let me clarify, for outbound utilizing multiple ISP connections and balancing out traffic. We don't specifically need inbound, this is for our web surfers.

[ February 03, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: jeff.hooper@rccorp.net ]

Post #: 8
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 3.Feb.2004 2:56:00 PM   
JohnBullinger

Yeah I hear it works fairly well but we do not have the money in the budget for an expensive piece of software like that.

Post #: 9
RE: Multiple ISP Connections - 11.Feb.2004 6:29:00 PM   
trebligb

I just finished a fairly large rainconnect deployment and it is a decent product (for $4000). It does great for in and outbound ISP redundancy. However, I have decided that never again will I do large scale web hosting behind rainconnect using it for inbound DNS and ISP redundancy. We have to do triple entry for DNS.

1. Internal DNS with pointers to the internal IP of the web servers

2. The load balanced DNS in Rainconnect that just does A and MX records (no reverse lookup, PTR, or anything else)

3. The external DNS which has all of the records for the hosted sites. Rainconnect forwards the DNS requests that it cannot answer to this server.

Over all it works but the webmaster who runs the DNS is about ready to throttle me [Smile]

Lessons learned, I may never again to large scale web hosting behind NAT.

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Misc.] >> ISA Server Wish List >> Multiple ISP Connections Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts