• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

VMware installation

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> VMware installation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VMware installation - 4.Mar.2004 4:35:00 PM   
ptwilliams

Ok, I just installed ISA 2004 Beta on one of my VMware boxes (after having a major issue getting the damned VMs to talk to my host PC, but that's another issue...).

I've just printed off Tom's article on setting up ISA 2004 and I know this is going to cover everything I need, like all of Tom's other articles, with one excpetion... "[Big

VMware.

Tom, any chance of an article outlining how to install (both versions of) ISA on a VMware box? I remember seeing similar posts in the past, but I've yet to see an article... "[Big

Otherwise, can somebody give me some guidelines on how to get the VMs networked properly (I'm using NAT but I don't want to be) and how to go about getting two NICs for my ISA box?

Many thanks, in advance

Paul.
Post #: 1
RE: VMware installation - 4.Mar.2004 4:41:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Paul,

I've been thinking about the exact same thing. In fact, I'll be writing that article this week for the 18 chatper Getting Started Guide!

Stay tuned!

Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 2
RE: VMware installation - 4.Mar.2004 9:37:00 PM   
ptwilliams

Great news. I'll look forward to the atricle(s) [Big Grin]

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 3
RE: VMware installation - 5.Mar.2004 12:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Paul,

Look forward to seeing that Monday or Tuesday. The Outline is pretty massive, so its going to be a big one. I'll probably offer it as a PDF download since I think it's going to be extremely popular! [Smile]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 4
RE: VMware installation - 5.Mar.2004 3:24:00 PM   
ptwilliams

Great [Big Grin]

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 5
RE: VMware installation - 8.Mar.2004 1:09:00 AM   
tad_braun

Hello,

I will be SO STOKED to see this VMWare doc! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Since new PC's for testing become expensive as the tests multiply, VMWare is the only way I test anymore. This will be a treat, I'm sure...

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 6
RE: VMware installation - 10.Mar.2004 12:25:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

The doc is delayed, but not forgotten. Work will start on it today and it should take a couple of days to get things ready for publication. I'd like it to be the base doc for all the stuff I do for ISA 2004 for the next three years. With everyone working from the same base config, we'll all be on the same page, and will be able to easily share config files! [Smile]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 7
RE: VMware installation - 11.Mar.2004 12:21:00 AM   
Lambera

I would recomend VPC 2004 by microsoft, works great for ISA 2004 and allows you to have one network card on the physical box and in the VPC console add up to 4 virtual network cards based on any installed on the machine.

Contact me on MSN Lambera22@hotmail.com and we can talk if you want.

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 8
RE: VMware installation - 11.Mar.2004 1:44:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi AJ,

I hear VPC isn't bad, but for some of the more detailed network scenarios we'll be working with in the future in my books and on this site, we'll need to use in some cases all 9 virtual switches that VMware provides. But for simple scenarios, VPC is supposed to work fine.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 9
RE: VMware installation - 12.Mar.2004 9:40:00 PM   
Lambera

I wonder if the Virtual server from msft will over come that issue , its still in beta and I have seen it yet.

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 10
RE: VMware installation - 12.Mar.2004 10:34:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi AJ,

Perhaps. They'll also need to support hot-plugged and unplugging of VMs into virtual networks. The nice thing about VMware is that its very network centric!

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 11
RE: VMware installation - 16.Mar.2004 7:16:00 AM   
I've been trying to get Virtual Server beta to run ISA 2004 beta for a while now--I believe there is a compatibility problem with the virtual networking but don't quote me on it.

FYI, the current VS beta only supports 4 virtual NICs. It does support hot-un/plugging of the NICs into your various networks but the 4 NIC limit will obviously not suffice for complex setups.

--Jared

(in reply to ptwilliams)
  Post #: 12
RE: VMware installation - 16.Mar.2004 11:15:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jared,

Thanks! So, you're saying that VS only supports 4 virtual switches?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 13
RE: VMware installation - 16.Mar.2004 6:56:00 PM   
If I've got the terminology correct...

VS beta appears to support numerous "virtual networks" which I believe are equivalent to virtual switches. I configured about 15 with no limit in sight so it should support your 9 switch requirement.

To be independent of each other, each virtual network has to connect to some NIC: physical, vlan, or loopback. I didn't take the time to add that many loopbacks but it looks like it should work.

The VMs are still limited to the 4 virtual NICs I mentioned before so that limits how complex a single virtual ISA server could get.

--Jared

(in reply to ptwilliams)
  Post #: 14
RE: VMware installation - 16.Mar.2004 10:51:00 PM   
canada

Isa 2000 & 2004 beta work great on Vmware, I also do my testings using it.

Two NICs, one on the bridged network which represent the internal ("domain") and the second on the NAT network considering it will be my ISP.

If you need a DNS record considering you're using a DHCP Dsl connection you can use the Dynamic DNS providers. I published an Exchange 2000 SRV behind ISA.

VmWare just needs a fine tune up of a configuration file vmnetnat.conf to allow the incoming tcp & udp ports into you virtual machine.

The one I use is VmWare GSX 2.5.1 & now ver.3 with 2 NICs, 3 SRV Os and a client OS on a W2k srv host. It just needs enough RAM.

Tested with w2k & isa 2k, W2k3 & Isa 2004.

I bet other configurations are also possible ( back to back and tri homed) but not tested yet.

Hope this will help.

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 15
RE: VMware installation - 17.Mar.2004 1:47:00 AM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by <Jared>:
If I've got the terminology correct...

VS beta appears to support numerous "virtual networks" which I believe are equivalent to virtual switches. I configured about 15 with no limit in sight so it should support your 9 switch requirement.

To be independent of each other, each virtual network has to connect to some NIC: physical, vlan, or loopback. I didn't take the time to add that many loopbacks but it looks like it should work.

The VMs are still limited to the 4 virtual NICs I mentioned before so that limits how complex a single virtual ISA server could get.

--Jared

Hi Jared,

It may be similar. What I wonder is if these virtual networks are isolated Ethernet broadcast domains, in the same way that VMware networks are. You'll run into issues if they are on the same Ethernet broadcast domains when doing troubleshooting and testing. I know, I used to put all hosts on the same VMnet and just assigned different network IDs to the hosts, and made some big boo boos because the result were spurious and make it appear as if the ISA firewall performed proxy ARP (which it does not).

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 16
RE: VMware installation - 17.Mar.2004 1:49:00 AM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by canada:
Isa 2000 & 2004 beta work great on Vmware, I also do my testings using it.

Two NICs, one on the bridged network which represent the internal ("domain") and the second on the NAT network considering it will be my ISP.

If you need a DNS record considering you're using a DHCP Dsl connection you can use the Dynamic DNS providers. I published an Exchange 2000 SRV behind ISA.

VmWare just needs a fine tune up of a configuration file vmnetnat.conf to allow the incoming tcp & udp ports into you virtual machine.

The one I use is VmWare GSX 2.5.1 & now ver.3 with 2 NICs, 3 SRV Os and a client OS on a W2k srv host. It just needs enough RAM.

Tested with w2k & isa 2k, W2k3 & Isa 2004.

I bet other configurations are also possible ( back to back and tri homed) but not tested yet.

Hope this will help.

Hi Canada,

Interesting config! I've never used the NAT network and usually disable it because I never need it. I just assign the bridged adatper a default gateway address that points to the actual Internet router on the live network. Then all hosts are assigned to different VMnets so that the networks are logically and physically separated (like actual segmented Ethernet networks).

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 17
RE: VMware installation - 17.Mar.2004 9:27:00 PM   
quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
It may be similar. What I wonder is if these virtual networks are isolated Ethernet broadcast domains, in the same way that VMware networks are.

I have never used VMware and VS sounds quite a bit simpler. Basically, you can configure your virtual networks however you want. If you made two separate vnets that did not share the same physical NIC, loopback, or external network, then the two networks are completely separate and no broadcasts would reach the other network.

--Jared

(in reply to ptwilliams)
  Post #: 18
RE: VMware installation - 18.Mar.2004 2:42:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jared,

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 19
RE: VMware installation - 8.Apr.2004 11:05:00 PM   
Kiliman

Hey Tom, what's the status on the VMWare document?

The way I have my system setup:

ISA VM (2 NICs):
External NIC: NAT - treat Host machine as ISP
IP: 192.168.202.100, 192.168.202.101
DG: 192.168.202.2 (HOST)
DNS: 192.168.202.2

Internal NIC:
IP: 192.168.142.100
DG: none

WEB Server VM (1 NIC):
Internal NIC:
IP: 192.168.142.120
DG: 192.168.142.100 (ISA)
DNS: 192.168.202.2

I've got Web Publishing enabled and have set Proxy requests to published server: Requests appear to come from the original client.

This new capability is sweet! Now my web logs have the remote client's IP!

The next thing I want to configure is Server Publishing to an internal SMTP server. This server will accept connections on the 2nd external IP (192.168.202.101).

One of the problems with ISA2000 is that outbound connections always come from the default IP of the ISA server. This was not what I wanted because my MX record had the 2nd IP and I only want my SMTP server to send mail from this IP.

You mentioned earlier about creating a second "network" and then creating a "route" between that host and IP http://forums.isaserver.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000001

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what you mean.

Can you break that down into step-by-step instructions?

Thanks,
Kiliman

(in reply to ptwilliams)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> VMware installation Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts