• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Real routing of external to internal?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Real routing of external to internal? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real routing of external to internal? - 5.Jan.2005 8:32:00 PM   
rz

Is it possible to do real routing of external IPs to internal? For example, we have a customer of our LAN that needs 5 external IPs. We would like to route 5 external IPs to 5 internal IPs.

Is this something that can be accomplised with ISA 2003?

Thanks,
-
Robert
Post #: 1
RE: Real routing of external to internal? - 5.Jan.2005 11:10:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Robert,

ISA Server 2004 does not do 1:1 NAT, but rather offers "server publishing." This is a process whereby you make services on one network available to another network, subject to ISA Server's access policy.

That said, what precisely do you need to accomplish?

Bill

(in reply to rz)
Post #: 2
RE: Real routing of external to internal? - 6.Jan.2005 12:28:00 AM   
rz

Hi Bill,

We are an ISP and we give each of our customers a static IP in the 10.x.x.x range, and all the traffic runs through one of our real IP's. (Masq/NAT whatever.)

So far all of our customers have been residential and not needed to run servers.

However, a new customer is a business, who wants to run servers of all sorts, and wants 32 real IP's.

(In this case, we're using fiber optic to deliver connectivity to the customer.)

Thus, precisely what we want to do is route a block of real IP's through our ISA2004 firewall, to the LAN side, so that the IP addresses of the network cards at the customer's premises will actually be real routable IP's -- thus they would have no trouble running any servers, and their servers would know the IP's of said server's clients.

If that's not doable, then next best would be for us to be able to give our customer a block of 32 IP's in the 10.x.x.x range, and directly map them to 32 real IP's, so any traffic coming in on any of the real IP's would be forwarded on to it's respective 10.x.x.x IP.

Thanks very much,

Jesse (Robert's employee)

(in reply to rz)
Post #: 3
RE: Real routing of external to internal? - 6.Jan.2005 5:36:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Jesse,

If I understand your question, you're wanting to do 1:1 NAT, which is not available with ISA Server. ISA Server does N:1 NAT (Cisco and others call it PAT or NAPT). ISA Server does offer server publishing, which lets hosts from one Network (Network with a capital N, e.g. a Network object in the ISA Server) access hosts on another Network, subject to the ISA Server's access policy.

Bill

(in reply to rz)
Post #: 4
RE: Real routing of external to internal? - 7.Jan.2005 12:05:00 AM   
rz

Hi Bill,

Yes, you understand my question. It was 1:1 NAT I wanted to do, or better yet, I wanted to relay packets from the Internet (External) direcly to the LAN (Internal) without modification, provided they were "to" a specific range of real IPs.
(That way, some computers on the LAN side could have REAL IP's assigned to them, and act as full servers.)

However, since we can do neither, we're just publishing each 10.x private IP onto each real static IP, as need be.

Thanks very much!

-Jesse

PS: I have noticed in ISA2004, in the configuration->Networks->Network rules section, you can set network rules to be "NAT" or "Routing" and it explains that Routing doesn't translate the addresses. I don't know what that feature is good for, though.

[ January 07, 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: rz ]

(in reply to rz)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Real routing of external to internal? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts