• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Why no auto-update of external IP ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Why no auto-update of external IP ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 20.Feb.2001 4:27:00 PM   
Goto Publishing/Server Publishing Rules and select a rule. Under "Action" you see your external IP.
My ISA-Server is on a dial-up and gets a new IP every 24 hours.
The problem is, that the external IP is not updated in ISA-Server. I've to manually update the external address using the "Select"-button.
Is there a way to tell ISA to do that automatically ? Thanks for any help.
  Post #: 1
RE: Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 20.Feb.2001 9:55:00 PM   
alexan15

I'm not an ISA expert...but ISA installs with a default dhcp filter that is disabled by default. It allows port 67 & 68 thru the firewall to update your external ip. try enabling this filter.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 21.Feb.2001 4:00:00 AM   
Hi alexan15,

the DHCP Client under IP Packet Filters is enabled on my machine by default.
A new external IP could be 'seen' by the ISA and internal clients (mIRC scripts for example) but the ISA dosn't refresh it in its own program. So Publishing Rules run with the old IP and fail to do their work.

I can set the new IP manually when I press the 'Select'-button as described above or restart the ISA services (or reboot the server).

It seems to me that IP auto-refreh on Dialup-Machines has been forgotten by the Development-team ...

I know that ISA could be configured to handle dial-up connections by itself.
But than it will auto-dial every time a client-request occurs. In my case that should not happen.

Open end

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 21.Feb.2001 10:34:00 AM   
tshinder

Alexan15 and TerraBay.com,

MS didn't really intend to have people use ISA to publish servers on dial-up connections, so they didn't put too much effort in making sure everything updated correctly when the IP address changed via DHCP.

A good fellow that I know is working on a program that will update these settings. When he's done with it, we're hoping we can offer it up as shareware on this site. For all the dial-up users out there, this program will be priceless!

Until then, you're going to have to manually change the address on the Inbound Listeners and publishing rules

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 21.Feb.2001 2:26:00 PM   
Hi Tom,

please drop me a note when this program is ready to do some early tests.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Why no auto-update of external IP ? - 22.Feb.2001 11:31:00 AM   
tshinder

Will do!

Tom

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Why no auto-update of external IP ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts