• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Question on setting up cache drive

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Question on setting up cache drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on setting up cache drive - 2.Dec.2005 11:14:16 PM   
thecoffeeguy

Hello!

I have ISA 2004 Server and I want to start using the caching feature.

I currently have the ISA Setup a Dell Box with the following specs:

Dell PE 850
3.0ghz CPU
4gigs RAM
(1)80gig SATA Drive

Now, I was reading through the ISA 2004 Server book and it recommends putting the cache on a different drive. Since I don't have a extra drive in this server currently, what should I do?

Is it safe to still setup say a partition? Maybe just setup a cache drive with 15gigs of space?

I wasn't sure and wanted to ask here.

I appreciate the help and feedback.

cheers,

thecoffeeguy
Post #: 1
RE: Question on setting up cache drive - 3.Dec.2005 12:40:20 PM   
wbplomp

Hi,

It doesn't matter if you only create a second partition. In fact, if you only have one disk I would advise it. De perfrormance issue depends on what type of networks you are going to connect and how many users you are going to handle. Sepose you only have an 8Mb internet connection and about 500 clients, you won't miss a thing. Because 8Mb is nothing compaired to a 100Mb network. Don't worry about it if you do not have enough hardware in place. In case you are serving more clients, try to add e second harddisk, but it will still work without it.

At my company we have more than 5000 clients and a 34Mb internet connection. That scenario is totally different. That's why I use ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition with two arrays. Each array has three RAID0+1 disk. On logical disk for the system, one logical disk for caching and one logical disk for logging. (36, 72, 146)

Good luck!

Boudewijn

< Message edited by wbplomp -- 3.Dec.2005 12:43:49 PM >

(in reply to thecoffeeguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on setting up cache drive - 5.Dec.2005 6:25:08 PM   
thecoffeeguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wbplomp

Hi,

It doesn't matter if you only create a second partition. In fact, if you only have one disk I would advise it. De perfrormance issue depends on what type of networks you are going to connect and how many users you are going to handle. Sepose you only have an 8Mb internet connection and about 500 clients, you won't miss a thing. Because 8Mb is nothing compaired to a 100Mb network. Don't worry about it if you do not have enough hardware in place. In case you are serving more clients, try to add e second harddisk, but it will still work without it.

At my company we have more than 5000 clients and a 34Mb internet connection. That scenario is totally different. That's why I use ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition with two arrays. Each array has three RAID0+1 disk. On logical disk for the system, one logical disk for caching and one logical disk for logging. (36, 72, 146)

Good luck!

Boudewijn

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Right now, I have about 70 users on a 3mb data pipe. I am also going to be putting on Surfcontrol in about a month.

So, you are saying it doesn' matter if I make a seperate patition because I have only one disk? I thought about that. I was thinking a seperate partition to just keep the caching files on a different partition from the OS files.

(in reply to wbplomp)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on setting up cache drive - 5.Dec.2005 10:12:26 PM   
wbplomp

Hi,

Yes, you ca use one disk with two partitions. 70 users with 3Mb should be no problem at all. Keep in mind that your cache file does not fragment your disk, because the size always stays te same. The log files fragment you disk, you should at least place those on a other partition than your system partition.

Gr. Boudewijn

(in reply to thecoffeeguy)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Question on setting up cache drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts