• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Sometimes IP logged in URL

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Sometimes IP logged in URL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sometimes IP logged in URL - 3.Feb.2006 5:18:56 PM   
LLigetfa

I am trying to figure out why sometimes I get the FQDN and other times I get the IP address in the URL of my logs.  My clients are setup as both WP and FWC through WPAD.  FWC is set to aouto, and it sets the WP to routing script.  I have tested both the FWC and WP WPAD/WSPAD and they are working.

I noticed during testing that if I see IPs in the log and disable FWC at the client, forcing IE to use the routing script, i get the FQDN.  What I don't understand is why it seems to be hit and miss.

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.
Post #: 1
RE: Sometimes IP logged in URL - 3.Feb.2006 8:16:48 PM   
ClintD

Collective Software has a blurb in their product 'LogHostName'

For Proxy clients that use SecureNAT, and Firewall Clients that cannot use the "automatic configuration" setting, ISA records each URL as an IP address only

http://www.collectivesoftware.com/Products#LogHostname

Not sure if it helps though...

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 2
RE: Sometimes IP logged in URL - 3.Feb.2006 9:22:18 PM   
LLigetfa

JA, I have seen their site.  They got a lot of interesting stuff.  Wonder if LogHostName adds any sort of delay.  I wonder if those guys will bring out something to one-up GFI's WM3?

Just not sure why ISA does not work as advertised. All my clients are setup the same... FWC autodetect with DHCP option 252.  FWC set to config WP with Get Routing Script.

Don't know how I'm supposed to troubleshoot why the routing script is hit and miss.  Was kinda hoping there may have been an undocumented fix in SP2 but that made no diff.

Oh well... I am going to start scrubbing the problematic clients... might be some leftovers from Google crap... not sure.  I scrubbed one of my test boxes that was hit and miss and now it is on best behaviour.  Time will tell.

Thanks

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to ClintD)
Post #: 3
RE: Sometimes IP logged in URL - 7.Feb.2006 6:59:28 AM   
ferrix

LLigetfa,

Thanks for checking out our stuff

LogHostname should not add a noticeable delay in most cases.  It does perform a gethostbyname call to ensure that the Host header in the HTTP request matches the IP address (to avoid the possibility of spoofing the host header and lying to your logs).  It caches the result for the duration of the connection keepalive.  Future lookups to that name should be fast due to the host caching the result of the ghbn call.

If you have a good internal DNS infrastructure then this should be nearly instantaneous, because by definition the client machine has already performed that call once to look up the web server's IP.

We've never had anyone report a negative performance impact to running loghostname, and it is our most popular product so I think we'd have heard by now!  However if there was ever a need, we could customize it to omit the verification check and make it completely O(1).

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Sometimes IP logged in URL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts