• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Not detecting ISA server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Not detecting ISA server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not detecting ISA server - 20.Feb.2006 3:40:23 PM   
wcg777

I am reposting since I did not get a reply back after my last posting. Maybe I will have more luck this time.

My computers still won't detect ISA. I can ping ISA. My little icon still has a red X
I also changed the 0 to a 1 in the registry hack according to MS instructions and have reloaded DHCP, etc...
I followed the steps from an ISA book. 252 for DHCP and Cname entry in DNS. I tried fwctool testautodetect and it detected the ISA server and downloaded the wspad file successfully and all was successful. With fwctool pingserver, it tell me that the firewall client service is responsive, but firewall client is disabled which is not the case. I have toggle from disable to enable and it still shows a red x and just will not detect the server. Same thing happens in my laptop which I also have connected. All setting in IE are correct.

I really need help. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 20.Feb.2006 3:46:42 PM   
tshinder

Hi Wcg,

What OS are the clients running?

Are the users logged on as local administrators?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 2
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 20.Feb.2006 4:21:40 PM   
wcg777

Clients are running XP Pro SP2 and all users are local admins.
We also use Vlans with Cisco switches, but I don't think that is causing the problem since I can ping the ISA server with no problem.
Server is Windows 2003 Standard ed with all the latest patches and ISA SP2.

Thanks again.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 20.Feb.2006 4:31:49 PM   
LLigetfa

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you enabled support for FWC in ISA?
Configuration => Networks => Internal => Properties => Firewall Client => "Enable Firewall client support for this network"

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 4
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 20.Feb.2006 4:37:38 PM   
wcg777

Every question counts.

Yes, I have that enabled and all the setting seem to be correct according to all the books I have.

Thanks.

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 5
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 26.Feb.2006 7:54:39 PM   
tshinder

Hi W,

What is the primary domain name suffix being used by the clients that are not resolving the wpad entry?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 6
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 27.Feb.2006 3:54:12 PM   
wcg777

All the computers use ahm.avborne as the DNS suffix.
If I do an ipconfig it does display the suffix as shown above.
So it would be computername.ahm.avborne as the full computer name.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 2.Mar.2006 4:25:15 PM   
tshinder

Hi Wcg,

OK, what is the name configured on the Firewall client tab for the ISA firewall Network to which these clients belong?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 8
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 2.Mar.2006 4:56:19 PM   
wcg777

I am asssuming you are talking about the tab on the internal network (firewall client)

I had servername.ahm.avborne; have also tried servername.avborne.com; servername.avborne, etc...
I just decided to finally put the IP address in the two fields so there is no confusion, but still can't find it.

I set up a pc with W2003 and ISA2004 (on its own domain) and connected to a laptop and the client did find the ISA server (not automaically) when I put the IP manually, but then the ISA is in the same box as the DNS and DC, so maybe that helps somehow. Soooo, there's got to be something preventing the clients from finding the ISA server. I can ping it with IP and DNS since I made a ping rule to ping it, so I know the clients know that it is there, but the FW just can't seen to find it. 

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 2.Mar.2006 6:35:51 PM   
ISAServerTools

FWIW...

I had a similar problem just the other day. I had one Windows XP SP2 client on a network of about 400 identical (or so I thought) clients where the Firewall Client simply would not detect the ISA Server. All the diagnostics worked flawlessly. I worked on it for hours and was about to just give up and reimage it.

As a last ditch effort, I went to http://update.microsoft.com and applied all the updates listed as "Software, Optional" (there were 11 of them).

Somewhere during the process of installing these updates, the Firewall Icon disappeared (since "Hide when connected.." option was checked) as it auto-detected the ISA Server. I have no idea which update actually solved the problem, but you may want to give it a try.

www.isaservertools.com

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 10
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 2.Mar.2006 7:33:51 PM   
wcg777

Thanks, I installed all patches and still nothing.

(in reply to ISAServerTools)
Post #: 11
RE: Not detecting ISA server - 8.Mar.2006 3:49:46 AM   
tshinder

Hi Wcg,

I'd next do a packet trace and figure out what name the client is requesting when attempting to connect to the ISA firewall.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to wcg777)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Not detecting ISA server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts