• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Web Publishing >> How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 27.Feb.2006 2:57:46 PM   
mok95

Hi there,

Has anyone had any sucess publishing Virtual Server 2005 remote console with ISA2004? I can publish the webs and mail servers running on the virtual machines, but can't access the Virtual Server management web, or control the virtual machines remotely.

My Virtual Server is running on the same box as ISA, and when I type 127.0.0.1:1024 on the ISA box, I get the VS management control, but can't do remote control of any machine.

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 27.Feb.2006 9:07:22 PM   
jbarsodi

Running additional apps on the ISA Firewall = BAD

I'm not familar with VS2005 specifically, but sounds like you will need allow traffic on 1024 to localhost.

(in reply to mok95)
Post #: 2
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 28.Feb.2006 12:19:55 AM   
ClintD

Did you enable Remote Control under the 'Server Properties' node of the Admin website?

Control of the Virtual Server machines is very similar to the Terminal Server Web connection process.

You connect to the website only to get the ActiveX control which then allows you to connect to the server on TCP 5900 (MSFTs Licensed VNC for Virtual Server) for remote control. Or you can use the smaller client (from the Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\VMRC Client directory) to connect directly to the VNC instance - still over TCP 5900without the website and ActiveX control .

< Message edited by ClintD -- 28.Feb.2006 12:26:14 AM >

(in reply to jbarsodi)
Post #: 3
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 4.Mar.2006 3:25:42 PM   
mok95

Thank you for your reply - I have now managed to get it sorted.

In case anybody reads this, the solution is to create a new protocol using outbound tcp port 5900, and then creating an access rule for it.
After this, firing the virtual server client, and typing vmrc://host:5900/xxx.vmc gets you in.

Thanks again.

(in reply to ClintD)
Post #: 4
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 5.Mar.2006 3:49:11 PM   
tshinder

I just need to reinforce what Jbarsodi pointed out:

Running extraneous apps on the ISA firewall is not approved.

When you get hacked and lose data and more, don't blame Microsoft or anyone else. You're the one who compromised your ISA firewall and you did it with full awareness that you have done so.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to mok95)
Post #: 5
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 5.Mar.2006 7:42:26 PM   
mok95

I am not running ISA on a corporate environment. I only have one spare computer to use, so unless ISA coexists with virtual machines, I wasn
t going to be able to run it.

I agree with you on that in a serious production environment a firewall shuold be a dedicated machine.

Thanks again.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 3.May2006 5:48:05 AM   
vatechguy

Mok95 - were you ever able to get the administration website to work successfully from the external networks?

I can get it to work with a server publishing rule - but not a web publishing rule. ARGH!!

I have a listener on 1024, external network redirecting to 1024 on the ISA internal interface.

When clients attempt to conenct with the web publishing rule I get:

Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)

(Again - this is a sandbox network - so no lectures on compromising my machines)

(in reply to mok95)
Post #: 7
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 3.May2006 6:04:02 AM   
ClintD

Either way, you'll have to use a Server Publishing Rule - the website is only there to allow the download of the VNC ActiveX control - a la Terminal Services Advanced Client ActiveX control - so you'll have to publish TCP 5900 in the end.

(in reply to vatechguy)
Post #: 8
RE: How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines - 3.May2006 6:24:55 AM   
vatechguy

Hey Clint - long time no speak.

I know I have to do the 5900 - and thats working fine. I'm just irritated I can't get the 1024 port to work. I want to know why.

PM me offline about where you're working these days ....  ;)  Adam

(in reply to ClintD)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Web Publishing >> How to publish Virtual Server 2005 machines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts