• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NLB in multicast mode.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> NLB in multicast mode. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NLB in multicast mode. - 7.Mar.2006 1:25:45 PM   
olafo

Hi guys!

I'm 2 days finding how to install  isa 2004 with nlb in multicast mode due to teaming cards. I found that is the only mode that teaming cards can work with nlb in non-integrated mode. But, does anyone know how to do this?

I set the nlb on the first isa server, and when i go to connect to the second server it's impossible. Simply it denies to connect. I've tried to stop firewall services and it doesn't work ...

Any help is very appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 8.Mar.2006 3:02:52 PM   
tshinder

Hi Olafo,

ISA integrated NLB only works for unicast NLB.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 2
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 8.Mar.2006 4:02:10 PM   
olafo

Hi Tom !

I don't want the integrated mode. I need to run multicast in non-integrated mode. This article describes that to deploy in non-integrated mode you need to use windows the Windows-based NLB tools, but I don't find how to do.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2004/plan/network_load_balancing_ee.mspx#EED

In this another article http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/nlbfaq.mspx

"NLB can be used with certain teamed adapters, however, this requires careful coordination between NLB and the teamed adapter configuration software."

Does anybody know some nlb compatible teamed adapters??

Regards,

Olaf

< Message edited by olafo -- 8.Mar.2006 4:08:46 PM >

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 16.May2006 7:43:41 AM   
sebastianp

olafo,

were you able to work out how to do this, I am also trying to use non integrated NLB but con't find a definitive answer to whether this can be done.

When using Wndows NLB manager to create a new cluster I get a "NLB can not be located on the specified computer when adding the host other than the one on which NLB manager is run from :(

Sebastian

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 4
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 16.May2006 9:09:00 AM   
olafo

Hi Sebastian:

Certainly, I had the same problem. I suppose that this is due to ISA restrictions.

My solution was to deploy windows NLB before install ISA Server. I don't know if it will be able to change NLB settings after installing ISA. So, be very carefull when configure NLB settings to avoid problems later.

Regards,

Olaf Marcos

(in reply to sebastianp)
Post #: 5
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 19.May2006 7:56:45 AM   
sebastianp

Hi olafo

I tried that i.e.

(1) Configured NLB on 2 W2K3 SP1 nodes
(2) Tested NLB (all working as expected)
(3) Installed ISA EE on Node 1 of NLB cluster and NLB stopped working (I certainly couldn't get NLB Manager to connect to both Nodes of the cluster, NLB manager keeps reporting NBL not found on the node that NLB Manager is not run from)

This is now driving me insane do you perhaps have a list of the rules you applied to make it work, if you can help I certainly owe you a few beers

S

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 6
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 19.May2006 9:35:35 AM   
olafo

Hi Sebastianp:

Do you have installed NLB in multicast mode?

I can't connect from NLB Manager of one node to the other. But NLB is running fine, cause the sessions in ISA Manager are balanced between both ISA.

Do you have error entries in the Event Viewer?

Regards,

(in reply to sebastianp)
Post #: 7
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 23.Feb.2007 7:32:42 AM   
kris.nrj

Did you by chance figure out how to do this. I'm in the same position right now. NLB is "working" but cluster members can't see the partners... please advice

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 8
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 23.Feb.2007 10:23:16 AM   
olafo

Hi Kris:

I have running this configuration about 1 year, but never can manage nlb from interface. I'm afraid that these issues are the ISA details that nowbody knows but Microsoft Engineers.

For your information, this configurations is not supported by Microsoft.

Regards,

(in reply to kris.nrj)
Post #: 9
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 23.Feb.2007 1:11:22 PM   
kris.nrj

I guess i have 2 options then:

1. Continue using this nlb with the teaming adaptors but not able to control the nlb cluster.

2. Stop using teaming adaptors but have ISA manage the NLB (using unicast) with an inter communication network adaptor.

Have you been running option 1. for a year? how does that work out for you?

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 10
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 28.Feb.2007 3:26:31 AM   
olafo

Hi Kris:

I've running for year without modify any configuration in NLB. When I set the NLB, I balanced all ports. After that, never touch the NLB settings...

Any problem with NLB during this time.

Regards,

Olaf Marcos

(in reply to kris.nrj)
Post #: 11
RE: NLB in multicast mode. - 11.Jun.2007 11:29:51 AM   
nhaajuice

I identified the problem as being a Microsoft one (I actually found the Microsoft statement somewhere)... That you are unable to cluster 2 servers and have any network cards within those servers teamed (some low-level hardware communication failure something (the word escapes me right now)) - this problem is true for any cluster/team situation... Not only ISA.

Once I broke my LAN team (even though this wasnt the communication between my cluster), I had absolutely no problems clustering the 2 servers.

FYI: So each of my servers have the following config:
LAN1 = 172.18.x.x
LAN2 = disabled (should have been teamed with the above)
NLB = 192.168.x.x (heartbeat cross-over cable between the 2 servers)
WAN = x.x.x.x

And of course I have an additional Config Storage Server on my LAN (running on a virtual machine actually) - as you are unable to have a CSS on a clustered ISA server

Hope this helps

(in reply to olafo)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> NLB in multicast mode. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts