• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outbound access with VNC

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Outbound access with VNC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outbound access with VNC - 13.Mar.2006 2:09:33 PM   
efector

I am part of a user group which has access to all outgoing protocols. I have tried using vnc to attach to a server sitting publicly on the internet. I am unable to attach to it. I tried creating a rule, giving access to me, outbound, on port 5900 and i STILL cannot connect to a remote server using vnc. I am a web proxy as well as a firewall client on my machine.

What gives? or am I just really stupid?

Thanks in advance.

(FYI, I can use remote desktops to connect to servers, but for this particular server i HAVE to use VNC).
Post #: 1
RE: Outbound access with VNC - 14.Mar.2006 1:35:38 AM   
Sunny.C

What you are doing is correct, allowing outbound access of the port used by your vnc server should work fine.
Do you get any errors on either end?

(in reply to efector)
Post #: 2
RE: Outbound access with VNC - 24.Mar.2006 6:01:46 PM   
AmcAmx

I am experiencing the same problem. 

I HAVE:

Open OUTBOUND access for all users.

I connect to work using VNC, through a VPN connection. 
My VPN connection works fine but for some reason I am unable to connect with VNC (or even PC AnyWhere).

Any help would be appreciated.

AmcAmx

(in reply to Sunny.C)
Post #: 3
RE: Outbound access with VNC - 11.Jun.2007 11:03:32 PM   
btg

hey guys,

I'm no expert on isa, but at a guess this appears essentially the same problem as ftp.

We have a scenario slightly different at work where isa is used as a proxy server and all clients except isa are restricted external access. Hence ftp must route via isa in order to exit the network to the internet.

The way this is done is by allowing ftp access out in the rule set. You will see in the protocol toolbox that ftp protocol is linked to an ftp application filter. I am guessing that this is where isa recognises and allows ftp access out from.

We then install the firewall client because secure nat is not an option for us when using isa purely as a web proxy. This redirects the external request from a ftp client to the isa server.

Now VNC I am assuming would be the same scenario. The difference here i can see is that VNC application filter is not predefined in isa at all. So while making access rules, the protocol is not enabled.

Given that I cant seem to find a VNC or Custom UDP port based application filter for download, and I am not good enough with C++ to create my own application filter.

Could anyone create this for us to try out??

(in reply to AmcAmx)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Outbound access with VNC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts