• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Able to get historical results with SQL Logging

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Able to get historical results with SQL Logging Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Able to get historical results with SQL Logging - 19.Mar.2006 1:53:37 PM   
remcolandegge

Hi,

According to another posting it shouldn't be possible to retrieve historical results when you log to an remote SQL database. I'm able to get the historical results (within the 10000 records limit ofcourse).

I'm running a SQL 2005 server on a remote server and have configured two databases with one table each (for the webproxy log and firewall log). I'm connecting by using a SQL account (not AD account). The retrieval of historic results is working fine, from the ISA itself and also from a client with the ISA configuration client installed.

I'm also seeing the records being made on the SQL Server, so logging is configured correctly. Why does it work when I try this, and why can't others get it working ?

The one thing I don't understand is that the firewall service still depends on the local MSDE engine, when I stop the local MSDE engine, the firewall service also stops.

Does anyone know the answer to the above questions ?

Greetings,

Remco Landegge
Post #: 1
RE: Able to get historical results with SQL Logging - 19.Mar.2006 3:35:48 PM   
ClintD

quote:

Why does it work when I try this, and why can't others get it working?

Too many variables to answer that question.

quote:

The one thing I don't understand is that the firewall service still depends on the local MSDE engine, when I stop the local MSDE engine, the firewall service also stops

Change the Monitoring\Alerts\Configure Alert Definitions\Log Failure alert to not stop the firewall service, on the Actions tab.

(in reply to remcolandegge)
Post #: 2
RE: Able to get historical results with SQL Logging - 19.Mar.2006 6:13:12 PM   
remcolandegge

quote:

Why does it work when I try this, and why can't others get it working?

Too many variables to answer that question.

ClintD,

I know there are many variables to answer the question but in an article posted earlier a MS-technician stated that is was not possible to query historical results

Grtx,

Remco

(in reply to ClintD)
Post #: 3
RE: Able to get historical results with SQL Logging - 20.Mar.2006 8:45:05 PM   
PietjePuck

Ik I was a little baffeld that my colleque remco was able to do historical queries, we tried serveral options (eg he uses the sa - sql authentication whilst I use integrated), then like it struck me that he still had the msde advanced logging installed.

so I reinstalled the advanced logging and YES it's working , so i you want remote logging and a historical view let the msde installed; of course you can use the newly released SQL Report pack for ISA to create reports..

by the way I'm using the beta 2006 version but I really don't think that makes any difference for logging (so the guy at M$ was wrong remote sql logging and historical view is possible after all)

grtx

(in reply to remcolandegge)
Post #: 4
RE: Able to get historical results with SQL Logging - 20.Feb.2007 3:28:53 PM   
ronanb

Hi,

Using ISA 2006 Enterprise with two ISA servers logging to a Single remote SQL server. Trying installing advanced reporting so I can generate Reports, but all I get is blank reports. I can use the logging tab to go as far back in time as I have entries for. I have seen a number of conflicting posts that this works.

Ronan

(in reply to PietjePuck)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Able to get historical results with SQL Logging Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts