• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Array network?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Array network? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Array n... - 19.Mar.2006 4:30:42 PM   
wbplomp

Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Array network?

We eventually thought that it should be enabled on the Intra-Array network, but we are not sure. I just saw a screen-caputer in a Microsoft Webcast where is shows it is enabled on the Internal network. Can somebody tell me wich it is?

Boudewijn
Post #: 1
RE: Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Arr... - 19.Mar.2006 7:25:58 PM   
wbplomp

I found this...

Cache Array Routing Protocol
When you enable Cache Array Routing Protocol (CARP), follow these guidelines:
  • Use a dedicated network for CARP communication. Configure Internet Protocol security (IPsec) for this network.
  • Networks for which CARP is enabled should be accessible only to array members.

So I probably must conclude that CARP should only be enabled at the intra-array network, isn't it?

(in reply to wbplomp)
Post #: 2
RE: Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Arr... - 19.Mar.2006 11:41:23 PM   
Jason Jones

There seems to be mixed views on this, but I believe the correct way is to enable it on the Intra-Array network.

You only need to enable this option if you want server-side CARP, as opposed to the preferred client-side CARP method employed using the auto config script.

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to wbplomp)
Post #: 3
RE: Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Arr... - 20.Mar.2006 2:35:37 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jason,

Excellent point! Hopefully server side routing is a very rare exception.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 4
RE: Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Arr... - 24.Mar.2006 9:07:45 PM   
wbplomp

Read the help file about "Scheduled jobs and CARP" than you will notice that it can even get more confusing...

CARP and scheduled content download jobs (Enterprise Edition)
ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition only
Scheduled content download jobs are affected by the Cache Array Routing Protocol (CARP) settings on the Local Host network. If CARP is enabled on the Local Host network, the scheduled content download job is processed only on one array member. The downloaded content is distributed among the array members, according to the CARP algorithm.
If CARP is disabled on the Local Host network, the scheduled content download job is processed on each array member. The downloaded content is duplicated on every array member.
When CARP is enabled on the Local Host network, we recommend that you also enable CARP on the default Internal network. Otherwise, Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 will not be able to retrieve objects from the cache that were requested by clients on the Internal network, which were cached when scheduled content download jobs were processed.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Arr... - 26.May2006 1:56:48 PM   
wbplomp

If you only have two array members, do you think CARP would help then for server-side CARP?

(in reply to wbplomp)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Should CARP be enabled on the Internal or Intra-Array network? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts