• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 21.Mar.2006 12:09:32 AM   
textguru

Hi!

Is there any advantage of assigning multiple IP Address on ISAS 2004's external NIC?
Post #: 1
RE: Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 21.Mar.2006 12:34:44 AM   
elmajdal

as I remember I used multiple IPs with ISA 2000 cuz i needed multiple listeners.

On ISA 2004 you can have multiple listeners with ONE IP Address because the Application layer inspection capabilities.

i dont think there is an impact on the performance by using multiple IPs.

the advantage is by using a different IP for each site you want to publish, but again i say , with isa 2004, u can have multiple listeners with ONE IP.

HTH

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to textguru)
Post #: 2
RE: Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 21.Mar.2006 12:48:10 AM   
textguru

can you recommend articles on this information? Currently I am using ISAS 2000 Standard on Windows Server 2003 that have multiple IP address.

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 3
RE: Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 3.Oct.2006 11:04:07 AM   
ras2a

New to ISA, so go easy.

I have multiple IPs assigned to external NIC of my ISA 2k4 box. I want to be able to 'use' one of these IPs for a machine on my LAN that is running applications with non-standard ports (games etc). Now, can I somehow have 'all traffic' directed through to this by way of one of the spare IPs? How would I achieve this?

Alternatively, is there some rule I can set up that would allow 'all traffic' through to a specific machine on my LAN.  I've been trying to get multiplayer games etc working from behind ISA for weeks and have just about given up.

If you guy's can suggest some alternatives, that would be greatly appreciated!  Maybe I should be using some kind of DMZ config, or is it better to create a new rule/listener for the public ip I want to use and set it as Route instead of NAT...would this work?

Please, can someone help me with this?

Thanks a lot

ras

< Message edited by ras2a -- 3.Oct.2006 11:45:13 AM >

(in reply to textguru)
Post #: 4
RE: Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 4.Oct.2006 12:04:00 PM   
ras2a

What I've done for now (quick workaround) is to assign one my spare public IPs to the NIC of my game server and specify the gateway to be my ADSL router (as opposed to ISA).  This totally bypasses ISA and makes this partiicular machine wide open to attack, so, I've installed and enabled Zone Alarm (for now)...I'm gonna then forward necessary ports for whatever apps I require. 

I haven't tested this out fully yet, but the public IP I assigned is fully pingable from external networks.  This is only a temporary measure and I wouldn't dream of leaving the machine 'completely' exposed for long periods (The machine is a gaming rig and seldom turned on) whereas my other machines/servers are on 24/7.

Again, this is a crappy workaround until I decipher just how to get multiplayer gaming behind ISA, working!

(in reply to ras2a)
Post #: 5
RE: Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) - 5.Oct.2006 1:31:28 AM   
H4ppyGilmore

Even though you can have multiple listeners on a single IP number, they all must use different ports except web listeners. 

However, I don't understand why ISA doesn't prevent Someone from creating a rule that conflicts with another rule with the same listener.  You will have to check the event viewer for the reason why your new rule is not working.     

(in reply to ras2a)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> Assigning Multiple IP on External NIC (ISAS 2004) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts