RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Management

awj -> RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (18.May2006 6:48:14 PM)

Hi there

I had to re-install a ISA 2004 Firewall machine and for various reasons went back to Windows 2003 without SP1 i have since installed SP1 and all is well except i can no longer RDP to the ISA server to administer it. I know there is a fix for this but i can't find the KB article, can anyone help by pointing me in the right direction?

I am certain i found the article on here a year or two back but lol the ISA server HTTP filter stops me from using the search facility for the forums.

Thanks

LLigetfa -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (18.May2006 6:57:10 PM)

Did you also SPack ISA?  ISA on W2K3SP1 must be SPacked.

You should go into the TSC and specifically assign the RDP listener to the NIC of your choosing.

awj -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (19.May2006 10:13:32 AM)

Hi there

Thanks for that i'll take a look at the TSC settings next time on site (although it worked fine before) also from memory does this now mean i can only have RDP on one of the Network interfaces? I just had a funny feeling a registry hack was required to fix this the last time a i had the problem.

PS I have ISA 2004 SP2 installed.

AWJ

melone -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (15.Jun.2006 7:47:37 PM)

Hi, i was just wondering if you had found a solution to this problem as I am in the same boat w2k3 sp1 and isa 2004 sp2 and I am not able to rdp to the server.  If it helps, I did realtime logging and received "FWX_E_Abortive_shutdown"

thanks
Am

LLigetfa -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (15.Jun.2006 8:01:44 PM)

Did you go into the TSC and specifically assign the RDP listener to the NIC of your choosing?

melone -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (15.Jun.2006 8:26:58 PM)

Thanks for your reply, I believe you are talking about the terminal services but I'm at a loss for the TSC - please excuse my naiveness.

thanks

melone -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (15.Jun.2006 8:42:10 PM)

Obviously not enough sleep,
I did assign the listener to my nic, in the "live" logs I noticed the same "...abortive_shutdown" as well as an attempt to RDP to the external nic

thanks for your patience
AM

LLigetfa -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (15.Jun.2006 9:55:02 PM)

TSC = Terminal Services Configuration
unless you are publishing it for access from the internet, I would think the listener should be applied to the internal NIC.

If not published, why would the request show up on the external NIC?  Do you have a DNS entry for the external NIC?

melone -> RE: RDP to ISA 2004 firewall not working after installing Windows 2003 SP1 (16.Jun.2006 2:02:26 PM)

Hi, I have selected the internal nic exclusively, yet I still get attempts on the external. There is no DNS entry for the external nic.
I have tried the following troubleshooting ideas:
I have been able to telnet on 3389 to the server
I have modified the sytem rule for mmc to allow connections from "internal" as well as my defined enterprise network
I have created an array Firewall rule to allow RDP to no avail

I am able to remote from the ISA to any other server in the network, and of course to itself. but I still get the same "...abortive_shutdown" error when attempting from other servers - even those with supposed "all outbound" set to "allow"
So far, sol...
thanks for your help

Page: [1]