• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 9:25:00 PM   
kdemers

Please forgive me if this has been answered before elsewhere.  I am having a problem with the firewall client on ISA 2004.  When I uninstall it from a client pc, I can still access the internet when I don't believe I should be able to.

Simple rule set, one rule to allow DNS, and one rule to allow access to the internet based on group membership.
Tested out rule access and verified (not a member, no access).
Fire up a pc (without the firewall previously being installed) and try to access the internet with a valid user ID and you cannot. (So far, so good)
Install the firewall client
Try to access the internet with a valid user ID and you can (Still going good).
Uninstall or disable the firewall client, and try to access the internet with a valid user ID and you can (Now it's bad!).
Reboot or logoff/logon, and try to access the internet with a valid user ID and you still can.

Does someone have an answer for this?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 9:38:07 PM   
LLigetfa

The user is getting out on web proxy.  You should not hinge your access plan on the presence or absense of the FWC.

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to kdemers)
Post #: 2
RE: Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 9:41:39 PM   
kdemers

Thanks, I would have beat my head against a wall over such a simple answer.

(in reply to kdemers)
Post #: 3
RE: Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 9:43:12 PM   
kdemers

Still trying to understand the firewall client, can I assume with proper proxy configuration, that I can use user/group authentication without the presence of the firewall client?

(in reply to kdemers)
Post #: 4
RE: Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 11:31:05 PM   
LLigetfa

Yes, for applications and protocols that intrinsically support WP.  For those that do not support WP but are winsock compliant or for complex protocols like FTP, you will want the FWC.  S-NAT rounds out the mix for what's left, with a few exceptions.

The School of Hard Knocks is a mean teacher. She gives the exam before the lesson.

(in reply to kdemers)
Post #: 5
RE: Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. - 19.May2006 11:33:19 PM   
spouseele

Hi kdemers,

it is crucial that you make yourself familiar with the three different ISA client types and how they interact with the ISA server. For more info about them, check out Jim Harrison’s excellent articles over at http://www.isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/ and my articles How to pass IPSec traffic through ISA Server, particular section ‘4. Configuring ISA Clients’ and http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Understanding_the_Firewall_Client_Control_Channel.html.

BTW --- don't forget to study the ISA help file! There is a lot of info there too.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to kdemers)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Can still access internet after uninstalling firewall. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts