• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MXtreme Mail Firewall?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> MXtreme Mail Firewall? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MXtreme Mail Firewall? - 13.Jun.2006 4:31:34 PM   
jmt0806

Does anybody have experience working with Borderware's MXtreme Mail Firewall to publish OWA?

We currently have an ISA implementation (OWA certificate copy on ISA, SSL) to publish OWA, but would like to know if MXtreme would be a good replacement for the current setup.

Post #: 1
RE: MXtreme Mail Firewall? - 17.Jun.2006 3:44:04 PM   
tshinder

No way. The ISA firewall is orders or magnitude more secure than the MXetreme, which isn't a firewall at all.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to jmt0806)
Post #: 2
RE: MXtreme Mail Firewall? - 19.Jun.2006 10:13:21 PM   
charlie66

Well, Borderware does claim that the MXtreme box is a firewall.

I have seen a presentation of the box where it was set up as an edge firewall, directly accessing the internet and the lan on two respective interfaces.

According to Borderware the OS on the MXtreme box is identical to the hardened OS on their firewall server, and for this reason you can use the MXtreme box as an edge firewall.

I haven't seen the OWA capability of MXtreme but the Borderware firewall itself has only limited support for application filtering (http).

< Message edited by charlie66 -- 19.Jun.2006 10:16:39 PM >

(in reply to jmt0806)
Post #: 3
RE: MXtreme Mail Firewall? - 19.Jun.2006 10:27:40 PM   
tonygauderman

Here is how I would implement the MXTreme or any other 3rd party email filtering appliance

Publish port 25 on the outside of your ISA Server to the outside interface of the appliance on a DMZ Perimeter network.

If it can be configured to run with a single NIC, leave it that way... If not connect the inside interface of appliance to the inside of your network.

configure the appliance to route inbound messages to your Exchange Server(s) and configure your Exchange Server(s) to send outbound mail to the appliance.

ONLY route port 25 from the internet to this appliance, and let ISA serve your OWA connections. 

(in reply to charlie66)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> MXtreme Mail Firewall? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts