• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performance the most?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performance the most? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performance t... - 2.Aug.2006 1:34:32 AM   
controlair

When I said "affect", I meant either improve or decrease the performance:

1. CPU
2. RAM
3. speed of hard drive
4. Fragementation of hard drive
5. Whether the log / cache is on a different physical drive than system.
6. Other?

< Message edited by controlair -- 2.Aug.2006 1:37:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performan... - 2.Aug.2006 12:53:51 PM   
aklimkin

CPU speed is not an issue until your ISA isn't doing SSL bridging, terminates an incoming VPN or has huge access policies list and/or applies URL/Domain name set restrictions.
Amount of available physical RAM as long as with HDD speed are key factors to effective and quick content caching.
HDD fragmentation and putting a disk on another channel/contraller are both contribute into the overall HDD speed factor.
There is Microsoft's document about the ISA 2004 serer hardware requirements and best practices:
Best Practices for Performance in ISA Server 2004

And there is also ISA 2006 capacity calculator. You can find it within flash media on top of the www.microsoft.com/isaserver page.

Regards,
Andrew

(in reply to controlair)
Post #: 2
RE: Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performan... - 2.Aug.2006 7:42:49 PM   
controlair

I actually changed my logging from MSDE to .W3C and then to .IIS.

I wonder why ISA keeps querying old .ldf and .mdf files and changing the modified time for all files, and this is happening all the time?
I truely believe it hurts the performance of file logging and cache.

(in reply to aklimkin)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Which hardware fact below will affect ISA performance the most? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts