• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New to ISA, need help!!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> New to ISA, need help!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to ISA, need help!! - 3.Aug.2006 10:42:58 AM   
pollabad

Dear Sir,

I need help in configuring my ISA.

We just recently installed a entry-level server with Windows 2003 Server R2 on it.   The said computer is set as a DHCP, DNS and WINS server.   During an initial test run in a small laboratory with several workstations, each workstation can properly get his IP address from the said DHCP Server (no problems with the connection).

We installed ISA 2004 R2 to the server, and set the protocols required for internet access.  When we start up a workstation i noticed that the "network connection has a limited connection to the server."    When I opened DHCP services, an address was leased to the workstation.   When I checked the ISA Configuration, I saw that the DHCP server (written in the ISA window) was not configured.

What happened?  Can anybody tell me a solution for this?
Post #: 1
RE: New to ISA, need help!! - 3.Aug.2006 4:03:49 PM   
elmajdal

do u mean in the dashboard ???

check this to understand what these are :

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Understanding-ISA-2004-Monitoring-Part1.html

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Understanding-Monitoring-ISA-2004-Part-2.html

HTH

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to pollabad)
Post #: 2
RE: New to ISA, need help!! - 10.Aug.2006 7:56:00 AM   
pollabad

thanks for the information.   Yes, i was referring to the dashboard that the DHCP was not configured.   My primary concern is not the dash board but how come when the ISA server was set, the DHCP server was not issuing anymore address to the LAN.

To give more ideas, here's the problem.

Scenario 1.
SERVER (DHCP and DNS Server).  Since the server was established to be a DHCP and DNS server, all workstations can get their assigned IP address from the server.  Workstations were set to get their IP address automatically.   Shared files and other information from the server can be accessed by the workstations.    IP Address of server is 192.168.100.1, while the workstations IP address range from 192.168.100.15-100.

Scenario 2.
SERVER(DHCP, DNS and ISA Server).   When the ISA Server 2004 was installed on the same server where the DHCP and DNS services were installed, the workstations can not get any valid IP address from the server and it further specify that there is a limited connection to the network.   The workstations IP address were 169.254.255.255 (I do not know this address and I haven't set anything on the server or the workstation for that particular address).     There are only three Firewall policy on the server: 1.  Access DHCP, DNS from internal to local host (for TCP and UDP protocols).   2.   Access all network from internal to external (for all protocols).   3.   the Default rule of deny access.

To fix scenario 2, I tried fiddling with the workstation, and I found out only one solution: setting the workstations' IP address manually.   When I did set it manually, the LAN was now up and running.  

So my question is what seems to be the problem?   From articles and tutorials, supposedly I can set both the DHCP and DNS server in the ISA server, how come when I installed ISA server, the DHCP services had a problem, or how come scenario 2 happened when it was fine in scenario 1?

(in reply to pollabad)
Post #: 3
RE: New to ISA, need help!! - 23.Aug.2006 9:05:58 AM   
ernestb

Hi Pollabad,

Have you tried creating DHCP Access Rules?
I.e. 1 for incoming requests and 1 for outgoing requests.

Create a "DHCP reply" Rule.
If you specify a protocol rule (i.e.selected protocols), select DHCP reply and set up request from "Local Host" to "Internal".

Create a "DHCP request" Rule.
If you specify a protocol rule (i.e.selected protocols), select DHCP request and setup request from "Internal" to "Local Host".

Restart you ISA services.

Cheers

Ernest Bola

(in reply to pollabad)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> New to ISA, need help!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts