• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NIC quality and its effects

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> ISA Firewall Appliances >> NIC quality and its effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NIC quality and its effects - 9.Aug.2006 10:05:04 PM   
denizyalcin

Hi,

I'm always curious about the effect of the NICs used in ISA boxes. I try to sell high quality NICs to my customers for their ISA boxes. The brand I mostly use is 3com. Their NICs cost nearly 4-5 times more than standard NICs. In July I read in a hardware review site that a company called Bigfoot Networks was going to introduce a very innovative NIC called Killer NIC. Then I just looked to the main page of their site and I thought that it wasn't something special which could affect the networking performance of a business when used on the ISA box. Today I visited Killernic's site again because I'm planning to buy one for my personal gaming purposes . While examining the site deeply I saw the whitepaper which explains more technically what Killernic does and now I'm a little bit confused. It looks like this card mostly increases the UDP performance of the system but the features called MaxFPS, UltimatePing and the FNA feature (ability to develope special applications for the card) give me some hope. Could someone with more knowledge shed some light to the matter ? Could this NIC improve the performance (networking, CPU utilization etc) of an ISA box (or in general of the network) ? Btw its price is very high : 279 USD. Would its advantages be worth its price ? (You would use at least 2 of them on an ISA box which raises the price nearly 500 USD in sum when compared to 3com's NICs.)
Post #: 1
RE: NIC quality and its effects - 10.Aug.2006 2:31:29 PM   
tshinder

Hi Deniz,

I don't see how it would help that much. I'd put in a couple of Intel Gigabit NICs and be done with it :)

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to denizyalcin)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> ISA Firewall Appliances >> NIC quality and its effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts