• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 25.Sep.2006 5:58:00 PM   
kfpmoran

I have awaited 2006 for some time and am disappointed that we are going to have ISA2007 next year (do I wait?). I am currently on ISA2K and am looking for the best way of moving over and retaining as much info (ok all info) as possible in terms of what is published, mainly exchange, OWA, VPN and some websites. I would look to use the same hardware and am aware that no path exists to move directly.

Is it best to start afresh, or is a possible method to go from ISA2K - 2k4 - 2K6, would that retain the current settings or am I just asking for trouble.

Also what will happen to certificates already installed on my 2K box, would wildcard certificates still work??

Any advice appreciated to make life as smooth as possible.
Post #: 1
RE: Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 25.Sep.2006 10:13:20 PM   
kwatts

I am in a similar situation.  Currently I have ISA2000 running and serving up OWA, RPC and Sharepoint access.  I have two servers in a load balanced setup so I am going to remove one from the team and do a fresh install of Windows and ISA06 on that.  Once it is ready to be made active I am going to down the second ISA2000 box and place the new online.  Then I will rebuild the second one and just join it into the team when done.

So far this is the only way I have seen to do this. There are no migration tools that I am aware of. If you have a second piece of hardware that you can use I would build out 06 on that and put into production.  Then rebuild the main server and swap roles once complete.

ken

(in reply to kfpmoran)
Post #: 2
RE: Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 26.Sep.2006 12:49:31 PM   
kfpmoran

Thanks Ken, I'm sure we are not alone. Will doing this retain the published websites etc or will we still have to setup from scrath all that we have published. If we were able to migrate all of our published websites that would be a great help, the wizards for Exchange etc mean that it is not a big task and I'm sure the VPN side is straightforward.  I do have other hardware available.

(in reply to kwatts)
Post #: 3
RE: Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 26.Sep.2006 3:52:38 PM   
kwatts

If you add a new ISA server into the mix you will have to copy the rules from the 2000 box over.  I do not know if you can export then import them.  Once you have the "temporary" hardware running correctly then you can rebuild your main box and join it in the array.  At that point it should pick up the rules from the first 2006 box.  Now this is all in theory since I have not gone down this path yet.  Just in the planning/testing stage.

ken

(in reply to kfpmoran)
Post #: 4
RE: Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 26.Sep.2006 5:49:39 PM   
kfpmoran

Yes, it's the rules and other config that I'm looking to get over. In ISA2004 it came with a util to export from 2k. I wondered if I could use this on my 2K boxand then import into 2K6, or can I just do two inplace upgrades?  Think I'll need to install 2K on a test box and try from there.

(in reply to kwatts)
Post #: 5
RE: Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 - 26.Sep.2006 8:27:25 PM   
elmajdal

quote:

NoteThere is no direct upgrade path from ISA Server 2000 to ISA Server 2006.
 read this from : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/isa/2006/deploy/upgrade.mspx under OverView  Tarek

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to kfpmoran)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Jump from ISA2000 to ISA2006 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts