• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SQL sizing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> SQL sizing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SQL sizing - 3.Oct.2006 5:04:02 AM   
pangalacticgb

I'm looking for guidelines for sizing the SQL box (SQL2005) which will be the logging database for an EE array (ISA2006).

Am looking at ~9000 user community (mostly students), with a view to replacing the ISA2000 proxy initially, and subsequently adding capabilities and leveraging the awesome power of an ISA box. Firewalling as a next step is a definate, as is OWA and RPC/HTTP publishing in addition to all websites being published through it.

Can't find anything that I can really hang my hat on (hence the ping), but am leaning towards the following

worst case, I'll over-engineer and go for:
AMD Proc
8 GB RAM
Raid 0+1 divided into 4
- C: = OS + ISA Binaries,
- E: = Page File
- F: = SQL Transation Logs
- G: = SQL Database
Gigabit NIC, x2

I *KNOW* I won't go down in flames with this config, but it is over-engineered and overly cautious; my preference would be to put something into place that reflects a bit more thought, style and panache (i.e. actually fits and is a very good use of available $'s, rather than the 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach).

The SQL sizing info on the MS site is horribly out of date.

Thanks in advance, Pat.
Post #: 1
RE: SQL sizing - 3.Oct.2006 2:43:57 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pat,
Key things are covered here. Max out the proc, memory and NIC speed (gigabit NIC will help a lot).

Also, SQL logs grow very quickly. For that number of users, make sure you have at least 500GB free for the DB, and more is better. Even then, you'll need to run SQL pruning scripts to wipe out the dead space and bring them down to size on the weekends.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to pangalacticgb)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> SQL sizing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts