• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 5.Oct.2006 5:00:18 PM   
jzietsma

I cant seem to find a fix for this problem i am having.  I have ISA2004 (w/ SP2) setup (not yet in production, thankfully) on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 box.  I have basic rules setup (only 5 including the default rule). We have 2 NIC's setup (1 external, 1 internal).  I have 4 test users setup so that they go through this proxy server.  The problem i am having is slow connectivity on the client side going to websites.  When I start IE it takes 10-15 seconds to load the initial page.  AFter that it is ok (not great).  Periodically the page will load up quick, but more often than not, it takes 10-15 seconds.  The issue is not with our network connection, as we have an ISA 2000 box currently in production that we have none of these issues with.  We also have fibre connection here.  I have tried applying the fix in the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839510/en-us
After i performed this fix, it was working great again for about 15 minutes, and then it reverted back to its normal state, taking 10-15 seconds to load the initial page and slower than usual (slower than our current isa setup) speeds loading other web pages.
Any thoughts or ideas?  Please help!
Post #: 1
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 5.Oct.2006 5:23:53 PM   
Jason Jones

Do a search on 'EnablePMTUDiscovery'.

Alternatively, install the ISA Best Practise Analyser and follow the recommendations.

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 2
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 5.Oct.2006 5:50:12 PM   
jzietsma

Thanks for the info.  I actually did that about 5 minutes before i read your reply.  However, I enabled the MTU setting in the registry as the best practices analyzer told me and i am having the same issues. 

Any other ideas?

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 11:56:47 AM   
Jazziao

Hello, i was going through the same issue, i made a strange "work-around" and it worked just fine, we have a large network, (over 100 pc's) so you could imagine the headaches solving this issue to all angry customers :).

Go to Firewall Client config in every machine and go to "web browsing" tab right next to "general" and uncheck "allow automatic config..." (translation from spanish, so excuse me if i confuse you) and save. Then, open the browser (IE) and go to tools-Internet Options and select the connections tab and then select LAN settings, right there unselect all "automatic configuration" checkboxes. Below select "proxy server". You might want to click on "advanced options" and type your ISASERVER IP or host name and in ports type 8080, and select "use the same proxy for all protocols" and then save all.

You solve the slow browsing issue and still can use your rules in ISA. That's the work-around for IE, Firefox works fine, no need to check these settings for Firefox.

Hope this helps you,

JR.

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 4
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 1:24:01 PM   
jzietsma

Thanks for your reply JR.  Your fix for the firewall client worked.  As for the users who dont have a firewall client, we have yet to see.  My speed issue has not come up today yet, but yesterday it was periodically happening.  We will have to see if it happens again.  I am currently running a test with a user who has the firewall client installed and myself who doesnt (just straight proxy settings in my browser).

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 5
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 1:58:06 PM   
Jazziao

As for the work-around to work, must have default gateway, primary and secondary DNS servers (from ISP) and your speed will be good. It seems that if you don't specify any default gateway and DNS, Firewall Client will be always using its automatic config although you have unchecked the Firewall Client i specified in my first reply. It also seems that sometimes speed is good and you would think your problem is solved but it may not, slow browsing will eventually return. Only when i typed default gateway and Dns servers my speed issue with IE was finally solved.

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 6
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 2:07:08 PM   
jzietsma

We are using DHCP here so we dont need to worry about putting in manual DNS/Gateway entries on the clients

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 7
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 2:34:55 PM   
Jazziao

OK, GOOD....

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 8
RE: slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients - 6.Oct.2006 2:41:58 PM   
jzietsma

I went onto the internet after my last post (going through this new proxy server) and it took 10-15 seconds to load the intial page again (google).  Half an hour later i tried it again and it came up right away.  I am now convinced it has something to do with the port on the switch or something to that effect

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> slow web browsing ISA 2004 clients Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts