HTTP filter error for OWA users other than me (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Exchange Publishing


Ben Davis -> HTTP filter error for OWA users other than me (11.Oct.2006 3:05:35 PM)

I have OWA working through ISA 2006 for me. However, when others try to login, they get the left and right frames to show up, but in each frame it has a copy of the error message below:

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP Security filter. Contact your ISA Server administrator. (12217)

I have Block high bit characters turned off in my HTTP filter settings for my OWA rule as Microsoft suggests here

The only thing I could find related to this issue is this Microsoft article which basically reiterates the same thing:

I'm sure there is something wrong with the HTTP filter settings, but I don't know what to do besides to start playing with check boxes and values. The key is that I can logon being the ISA Server Admin and others cannot. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ben Davis -> RE: HTTP filter error for OWA users other than me (12.Oct.2006 10:03:17 AM)

Found the solution. In looking at the logs in more detail, I found there was a field logged for the detail of the HTTP Filter. In looking at that field along with the URL log field, comparing my successful attempts and others unsuccessful attempts, I found the issue. The HTTP Filter detail would mention the request was filtered due to an extension issue. The difference in the URLs was that my logins just has https://FQDN/Exchange/First.Last/etc whereas others had https://FQDN/Exchange/ Since the first Microsoft article in my previous post recommended filtering the .com extension, this part of the filter made requests with fill email addresses in them fail. I'm not sure why just mine is passing through my email address before the @ sign, but removing .com from the HTTP filter made everyone else work. I still want to find out why my logon passes the email address the way it does versus other users so that I can turn .com on again in the HTTP filter to protect my system from malicious content. I assume this is something in my Exchange configuration.

Page: [1]