• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Delay opening browser

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Delay opening browser Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Delay opening browser - 18.Oct.2006 5:29:52 PM   
tevans

We're running ISA 2004 SP2 on Win 2003 SP1 server, WinXP SP2 clients w/IE6. Clients are configured to automatically detect proxy settings with WPAD from DHCP entry.

Everything was working fine until I changed public IP addresses for new ISP last week. Now When we first open the browser, some users get a 20-30sec delay. Some of those affected say "Connecting to Site <IP address of ISA>" and others say "Detecting proxy settings...". Once we get past the initial delay, web pages download at a normal speed.

If I uncheck Automatically detect settings, there is no delay. I've applied the patch from KB907455 and there are still delays. Any more ideas to try before I call PSS?
Post #: 1
RE: Delay opening browser - 19.Oct.2006 2:25:33 AM   
PatrickM

Hi.

How is the clients initiating the communication with ISA Proxy?
FQDN, "WINS-name", IP?
I've seen 21 seconds delay when DNS or AD is not working correct....

(in reply to tevans)
Post #: 2
RE: Delay opening browser - 19.Oct.2006 7:32:40 AM   
jzietsma

I had the exact same issue with the delay.  I have 2 network interfaces on my ISA server, one Internal, one external.  Same server/client setup as you.
Here is how I fixed it: Go to the properties of the External NIC (then go to Properties of TCP/IP, click on Advanced, click on the DNS tab, and make sure the Register this Connection's addresses in DNS is not checked).  Once you are done that, go to your Domain Controller, go into DNS, open up Forward lookup Zones and delete the entry for the External IP (there should be 2 entries there for your ISA server, 1 internal IP and 1 external).  Reboot your ISA server after this is
Let me know if this worked

(in reply to tevans)
Post #: 3
RE: Delay opening browser - 19.Oct.2006 10:24:26 AM   
tevans

jzietsma:
Sorry, but there is only one IP in DNS for ISA and it's the internal interface

PatrickM:
Clients are connecting via the WINS name. As far as I can tell, it's not a DNS/Ad issue because fwctool TestAutoDetect /type:DNS and fwctool TestAutoDetect /type:DHCP both come back clean without any delays. In fact, for the biggest part of the delay, teh status bar is displaying "Connecting to Site <IP address of ISA>".

Well, I'm off to PSS to see what they have to say. I'll let you know

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 4
RE: Delay opening browser - 19.Oct.2006 10:55:49 AM   
jzietsma

Another thing you should do is install ISA Best Practices Analyzer.  Run a scan and do a Health Check and ISA Info.  This might help you out with finding issues as well

(in reply to tevans)
Post #: 5
RE: Delay opening browser - 23.Oct.2006 6:14:39 AM   
PatrickM

Tevans:

I have seen several problems running the WINS name in proxy settings..
I would recommend FQDN (ex: proxyserver.doomain.local)

Not sure why it behaves this way....

(in reply to jzietsma)
Post #: 6
RE: Delay opening browser - 23.Oct.2006 7:10:48 PM   
H4ppyGilmore

First, I wouldn't recommend configuring wpad in DHCP.  User your DNS server for it.

Second, make sure your wpad and its alias records are correct.

Third, check your DNS settings. 

It looks name resolution times out before moving onto next method.

(in reply to PatrickM)
Post #: 7
RE: Delay opening browser - 30.Oct.2006 9:56:20 AM   
tevans

I hate it when things end up his way.

As part of my intial troubleshooting on this issue, I had disabled the web proxy. What fixed it was re-enabling it. What was happening was that clients were hitting th ISA server on port 8080 and getting denied. They would then time out and retry on port 80 and get right thru.

Anyway, Thanks for all your help on this.

(in reply to H4ppyGilmore)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Delay opening browser Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts