• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Web Farm Much Slower than NLB

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> Web Farm Much Slower than NLB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web Farm Much Slower than NLB - 22.Nov.2006 1:17:53 AM   
sbsaxton

Hi,

I have set up ISA 2006 and was making use of the "Web Farm" option for publishing a web site. There are 4 IIS 6.0 Web Servers which hold the test application I wish to publish (in this case mostly simple serverside ASP controls and branding images). Its just a straight Edge Server arangement.

I published the site using the "Web farm option" and specified the IP addresses of the 4 boxes in the farm 172.25.0.16 -> 172.25.0.19.  

When the listerner picks up the request the inital default.aspx page takes 12 seconds to load and all the images on the page come down one after the other with 5-7 seconds delay between them. The whole page takes around 1 minute 30 to load.

All the machines are in the local DNS, and only the internal NIC points to the DNS. When I browse for the machines and enter their names in the web farm (instead of the IP) they are resolved to the domain, but the solution is no faster.

When I disable this publishing rule and switch to using a "Single Server or Load balanced" rule instead the whole page is rendered <1 second. Caching is not enabled and i cleared out my browser cache between sessions. I also had to create the NLB Virtual IP on all the servers to do this...

Obviously I'd like to use the management and session features that "Web Farm" has to offer but right now that's not possible.

Basically the Web farm is 100's of times slower than NLB, which is just so wrong, any idea as to why this should be?

< Message edited by sbsaxton -- 22.Nov.2006 1:27:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Web Farm Much Slower than NLB - 23.Nov.2006 2:44:43 PM   
gja

Is there any differenc in using the option on cookie based LB or IP based LB?

(in reply to sbsaxton)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> Web Farm Much Slower than NLB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts