• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind ISA 2000.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind ISA 2000. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind ISA 2000. - 5.Dec.2006 11:05:31 AM   
lfranco

Network Config:

ADSL Router / ISA 2000 / Windows 2003 R2 (Terminal Services – Application Mode)

ISA Server:

ADSL Interface: IP: 10.0.0.254/8
External Interface on ISA: IP: 10.0.0.1/8
Internal Interface on ISA: 192.168.0.1/24
Windows 2003 SP1.
ISA 2000 SP2.

I’ve Publish the TS Server using Microsoft’s KB294720.

Terminal Server:

Windows 2003 R2, Terminal Services configured in Application Mode.

Problem:

Accessing the Terminal Server from with in the LAN works fine with out any problems.
Trying to access the Terminal Server from the Internet is where the problem starts.
I’m able to connect for about 5 secs and them suddenly the session hangs and after about 30 sec I am disconnected.

I’ve deleted and recreated the “Access Rules” on the ISA box and problem maintains.
Changed the RDP default Port 3389 à 5000 (reg changed) recreated the access rules and I still land up with the same result.

Has any one had this problem?

Thanks for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind IS... - 10.Jan.2007 5:28:37 PM   
psaul

Hello,

I am having pretty much the same issue. I have 2 Windows 2003 R2 servers, one runs ISA 2000 SP2 and the other is a Domain Controller in Remote Admin mode.

I publish RDP (3389/tcp) on the ISA server to the DC and it worked OK. THen we upgraded the ISA server. I used the ISA Import/Export tool from MS (available on isatools.org).

NOW on the NEW ISA server we can't RDP to the DC, it tries to connect and then hangs. Occationally you get the full login window but it still hangs.

We have tried recreating the RDP protocol rule and server publishing rule. We have tried changing the RDP port and making an all new rules, same thing. I have checked that RDP on the ISA server is NOT on. We've tried service and server restarts.

I have tested the MTU as per KB 314825 incoming and out going to look for black hole routes.

Other Server publishing rules work OK. Just RDP doesn't work. If I disable the rule I get no connection as expected, and if I re-enable it all I get is the initial connect (or perhaps just the yellow bar at the top). I have tried publishing a different server with RDP and it still doesn't work.

If I connect internally (LAN side) to the DC it works 100%. I believe it to be a problem with ISA. Short of a complete uninstall, and manual reconfig any suggestions?

Any one have any suggestions? Anyone know where ISA 2000 keep its rules and definitions (file or registry)? It still happened when I changed the RDP port -- does ISA do RDP filtering of some kind? Is there a way to "repair" ISA?

Thanks,
  --Saul

(in reply to lfranco)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind IS... - 10.Jan.2007 6:24:49 PM   
psaul

One bit of follow up info:

If I enable RDP on the ISA server (setting it so it only responds on it's Internal network card) and then change the RDP publishing rule to point to its OWN Internal network card: IT WORKS!

Since other published servers, like Radmin, on port 4899, work OK and I can connect from the ISA server's desktop via RDP to the Domain Controller with no problem this leads me to believe that ISA is doing something to RDP traffic that causes it to fail when it publishes the server.

I'm not sure if I'm any closer than I was before but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks,
   --Saul

(in reply to psaul)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> Server Publishing >> Trouble Publishing RDP on Windows 2003 R2 behind ISA 2000. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts