• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

can reach OWA site externally but not internally

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Exchange Publishing >> can reach OWA site externally but not internally Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
can reach OWA site externally but not internally - 8.Dec.2006 12:03:51 PM   
blueberryKJ

I've set up OWA with Exchange 2003, and ISA 2006.  I can see the OWA page when I go the the external web site from outside my network.  I can get the log in internally using https://servername/exchange, but when I try to reach the external address while I'm in my network, I get "the requested URL could not be retrieved."  I even added it to the hosts file on my workstation.

Anybody have an idea what the problem is?
Post #: 1
RE: can reach OWA site externally but not internally - 8.Dec.2006 6:28:49 PM   
Jason Jones

This may be worth a look?

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Enabling-ISA-Firewall-Forms-based-Authentication-OWA-Connections-Internal-External-Clients-Part1.html

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to blueberryKJ)
Post #: 2
RE: can reach OWA site externally but not internally - 9.Dec.2006 6:08:44 AM   
spouseele

Hey guys,

with ISA Server 2006 it turns out that it is possible to access from an internal/perimeter host the published instance of a Web server through HTTP and HTTPS. This seems to work if the internal client access the web site as a Web Proxy, or a Firewall client or even as a SecureNAT client.

Of course, you should make sure there is an access rule in place allowing the client anonymous access to the Web listeners on the ISA external interface. Also, if ISA is doing name resolving on behalf of the client (Web Proxy and Firewall client), the used FQDN must resolve to the Web listeners on the ISA external interface.

HTH,
Stefaan

< Message edited by spouseele -- 9.Dec.2006 7:20:56 AM >

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: can reach OWA site externally but not internally - 11.Dec.2006 10:40:58 AM   
blueberryKJ

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have any internal networks set up on the ISA server.  The ISA server is in the DMZ of my network, a PIX being the firewall.  We just have the ISA to publish OWA.  Since I didn't set up any networks, I think it sees the traffic from my internal network as external because it doesn't recognize it.  Is that correct?

I'm having trouble logging in externally through the ISA server.  I was hoping to access the web address from my internal workstation to test the site.  Otherwise, I have to drive to the coffee shop across the street to access their wireless network. 

I think I may be a certificate problem.  In my first attempt to set up OWA, I had already created a certificate on my Exchange server, and copied it to the ISA server.  When I couldn't log in, I deleted everything and started over using Tom's step-by-step instructions.  However, when I recreated the certificate following his instructions, three appeared.  ?   Was that supposed to happen?

KJ

Post #: 4
RE: can reach OWA site externally but not internally - 11.Dec.2006 2:50:02 PM   
spouseele

Hi KJ,

are you saying you are running an unihomed ISA server? If so,  I'm sorry but I have zero experience with that though I can't see why it shouldn't work from 'internal'.

HTH,
Stefaan

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Exchange Publishing >> can reach OWA site externally but not internally Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts