Which Type of Logging? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning

ofeefee -> Which Type of Logging? (24.Jan.2007 6:35:04 PM)

I have it currently setup as msde which is the default.  I'm running storage server with 4 array members.

I have a product that can utilize msde logs, but it must be installed on each device, and cannot do summary reports. I'd like to keep my members free of additional software, and I want centralized reporting.

However, I have been told that if you use file based logging that you can install the software on the storage server and it can access each array member and create uniform reports using all the log information.

My question - Do you hurt anything by moving to File Logging instead of MSDE logging, does it affect anything inside of the storage server dashboard, performance of the log queries?

I heard file based logging is faster than MSDE, but I don't want to lose the dashboard logging functionality I have now.

Thanks for the help...

Boedus -> RE: Which Type of Logging? (24.Jan.2007 7:13:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ofeefee

I have it currently setup as msde which is the default.  I'm running storage server with 4 array members.

I have a product that can utilize msde logs, but it must be installed on each device, and cannot do summary reports. I'd like to keep my members free of additional software, and I want centralized reporting.

However, I have been told that if you use file based logging that you can install the software on the storage server and it can access each array member and create uniform reports using all the log information.

My question - Do you hurt anything by moving to File Logging instead of MSDE logging, does it affect anything inside of the storage server dashboard, performance of the log queries?

I heard file based logging is faster than MSDE, but I don't want to lose the dashboard logging functionality I have now.

Thanks for the help...

This type of configuration usually works with a real SQL Server on the CSS server.
In that case your 4 servers would be logging on the CSS Server.
then from the CSS you can run a 3rd party reporting tool or if you are not bad in SQL queries, you can actually do it yourself and create some good reports, much better than ISA itself.

Here is an example of what I did with ISA Server 2004 for one of my customer.
This reporting tool has been written in basic ASPX pages and is basically doing SQL queries against the CSS SQL Server.

[image]http://www.fooljam.com/pictures/Image1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.fooljam.com/pictures/Image3.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]