• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Firewall Client vs. XP Home

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Firewall Client vs. XP Home Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 2.Mar.2007 5:57:08 AM   
Dibo

Hiya,

at my student's dorm we're all behind an ISA serv (I believe its a 2000 one), and so the firewall client is used for enabling us to connect with "outside" with different kinds of software, like Poker Games and whatever.

But it seems the firewall client is just working on XP Professional systems and only if it is installed BEFORE installing Service Pack 2. Now Im running XP Home SP2 on my laptop, and whether the old version nor the client for ISA 2004 ever connects with the ISA server, while on XP Prof systems it does (means: the icon gets a green dot, while it stays "neutral" on my screen).

Additionally, when Im running a program that is supposed to use the firewall client, it immediately shows a "cant authenticate with ISA server" (red dot) icon. We have not found a problem to get the firewall client to connect properly on XP Home systems or on XP Prof. systems that had SP2 installed before the firewall client.

So I would really like to know if there is a possibility to get the firewall client working properly on XP Home (SP2) systems and how to do this. I am not running any firewall (including the Windows FW) or anything else that would block the client from connecting.

Thanks for your help in advance,

greetings
Dibo

< Message edited by Dibo -- 2.Mar.2007 6:08:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 5.Mar.2007 6:16:32 PM   
royh

Hi,
Can you know exactly if it is an ISA 2000 or ISA 2004? If it is an ISA 2000, make sure it has the latest service pack.

HTH,
Roy.

Roy Haddad,M.Sc
CCNA, MCSE 2003 Messaging & Security,C|EH
www.foxminds.com

(in reply to Dibo)
Post #: 2
RE: Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 5.Mar.2007 6:20:46 PM   
Dibo

Im very sure its a 2000 one, since most of the XP Prof. systems connect via the old client for 2000. Concerning the SPs I cant tell you anything, since I dont have any direct access to the ISA serv.

(in reply to royh)
Post #: 3
RE: Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 6.Mar.2007 6:44:18 PM   
royh

Hi Dibo,
Windows XP home are not designed to join domains, they can't authenticate...Check the issue with your network admin to let your computer use the ISA as its default gateway and to set the appropriate access rule that enable you to get connected...

Roy

Roy Haddad,M.Sc
www.foxminds.com

(in reply to Dibo)
Post #: 4
RE: Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 6.Mar.2007 7:23:42 PM   
Dibo

now according to
http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html
this can be fixed with X-Setup. Yet I dont know what to enter as Domain once Im at the mentioned setup screen? The IP of the ISA serv? Or did I mix sth up? (have mercy, Im a beginner in those kinda things, actually just a student trying to get more things running than just browsers)

Just in case it helps, the current situation of the internet access in my student home:
Browsers, Instant messengers and all applications supporting http proxies can access the internet by using the http proxy that comes with its own 2 DNS servers and standard gateway. But as soon as an app does not support (http) proxies, it can only access the web via the ISA fw client - yet only on XP Prof. systems so far.

< Message edited by Dibo -- 6.Mar.2007 7:32:00 PM >

(in reply to royh)
Post #: 5
RE: Firewall Client vs. XP Home - 7.Mar.2007 8:17:39 AM   
royh

You have to enter the name of your domain and you have to use a valid user name and password on the domain provided by your network admin!!!

Roy.

Roy Haddad,M.Sc
www.foxminds.com

(in reply to Dibo)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Firewall Client vs. XP Home Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts