• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Are two local networks better ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Are two local networks better ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are two local networks better ? - 18.Mar.2007 3:59:20 PM   
klaeger

Hello community

in October we install a new ISA Server 2006 at a new site. Finally there are Two factorys in the same building but they have totally different businesses. Only the IT Staff works for both factorys. Here is my question about it.

Should i use 2 internal NIC's for two different local networks ?

First Factory  172.20.16.0 Mask 255.255.240.0 a Cisco Router as Gasteway and ISA Server with same Gateway Settings on this NIC

Second Factory 172.30.16.0 Mask 255.255.240.0 another Cisco Router as Gateway and ISA Server with same Gateway Settings on this NIC

Would it be difficult to set Traffic Roules from one to the other factory as an example to replicate the ActiveDirectory ?

Or should i better use only one internal NIC and put both factorys on the same Network ID ?

First 172.20.16.0 - 172.20.25.255 and Second 172.20.26.0 - 172.20.31.255

Please send your suggestions !

Thanks, Daniel

Man grows cold faster than the planet he inhabits : Albert Einstein
Post #: 1
RE: Are two local networks better ? - 18.Mar.2007 7:14:26 PM   
matheesha

It depends on whether you need to control the traffic flowing between the networks. In this case it appears you have domain controllers on both network ids. Personally, I would add both NICs to the same internal interface unless I need to control the traffic between the two networks.

Creating rules to ensure all traffic between the two domain controllers can be easy/hard. You could create a rule to allow all protocols between both IP addresses explicitly. Or you could lockdown the protocols but that appears a little tricky. you need to ensure LDAP, DNS and RPC traffic between the two. I think You might be able to limit the ports used for RPC but I havent checked recently. Requires some testing to ensure the traffic flows as required else you will have some strange issues.

Please provide more info of the exact requirements

(in reply to klaeger)
Post #: 2
RE: Are two local networks better ? - 19.Mar.2007 4:47:57 PM   
klaeger

It is a Rootdomain - 2 Clientdomains - Network

The first factory has One of the Rootdomaincontrollers and in Clientdomain 2 Domaincontrollers replicating to each other

The second factory has the second Rootdomaincontroller, replicating with the one of the first factory and in Clientdomain 2 Domaincontrollers replicating to each other as well

I doesn't understand your suggestion for me a NIC is a Network Interface Card - Do you meant to add both IP Addresses to one internal Networkcard of the Isaserver ? What about the default gateway in this case ?

Greets
Daniel

Thanks, Daniel

Man grows cold faster than the planet he inhabits : Albert Einstein

(in reply to matheesha)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Are two local networks better ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts