Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General

ozgurerdogan -> Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (20.Mar.2007 4:48:16 PM)

Three boxes. One Isa2006, IIS and SMTP.
How would the idea be if antivirus and antispam protection wanted to be made at isa server level? I mean before reaching to actual Web (IIS) or Mail (SMTP)server?

For Anti Virus Protection, filtering module, filtering the packets at ISA would be ok I guess.
But what makes me confusing is for anti spam protection? Will it be same as antivirus filtering?
There are some anti spam and anti virus softs for smtp servers. For example http://www.gfi.com/mes/ is for Exchange / SMTP. So how would be the idea if I want to use this one. Will I need to use smart host technology? If yes How?

Or I do not have to worry about antispam as it would be handled like antivirus content filtering by creating policies at isa.

I will soon start publishing the server so any recommendation or suggest will be very important.

Thank you

tshinder -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (21.Mar.2007 8:02:30 AM)

You could use your ISA Firewall as a spam filtering inbound and outbound SMTP relay.

HTH,
Tom

ozgurerdogan -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (21.Mar.2007 10:19:40 AM)

Ok I have read the articles about inbound and outbound SMTP relay which is located at:
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004inboundsmtprelay.html
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004outboundsmtprelay.html
Which are really great. Thank you for your time and effort
So can I use these methods for my web hosting company? Will there be any trick or something that I must take care or as there will be no client. There will be only seperate mail and web server behind the isa server.

tshinder -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (22.Mar.2007 3:19:14 PM)

I'm not aware of any tricks. I use it for about 20 domains in my office.

HTH,
Tom

ozgurerdogan -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (22.Mar.2007 3:26:08 PM)

An other point I wonder is,
Should I use the firewall client for the communation between the servers for more security? For example for dns replication or even also for smtp relay between isa and mail server.
And how about DMZ ? Shall I think of it? Or not neseccary?
Thank you very much for you time.

tshinder -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (23.Mar.2007 12:07:16 PM)

Never install the Firewall client on the ISA Firewalls themselves.

HTH,
Tom

ozgurerdogan -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (23.Mar.2007 12:10:45 PM)

No I meant for the clients behind the isa. For mail and web servers.?

tshinder -> RE: Spam & Virus protection at Isa server level before reaching the actual server? (23.Mar.2007 1:31:23 PM)

Don't install the Firewall client on any server. Install the Firewall client only on client OSs, like XP or Win2k workstation.

Tom

Page: [1]