• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Remote Procedure Call Failed

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Remote Procedure Call Failed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remote Procedure Call Failed - 28.Mar.2007 1:47:17 PM   
BrandonOz

I am also having issues with Remote Procudure Call (RPC).
My ISA 2006 SE (running on 2003 R2 SP2) is a member server. I recently uninstalled SP2, installed ADAM SP1, then reinstalled SP2. My ISA is also my Routing and Remote Access for the Domain, for which i use as my default router.

The issue i get is when i add domain members to a local group on  my ISA and receive, "The Remote Procedure Called Failed" I know there is something Wack going on because it resolves the Domain Members Full name without typing it all in? I also set up a connectivity test between the ISA and Domain Controller for Group Type Active Directory, Method TCP testing RPC. Now i could be way way off here by using this test, but its seems like the thing to do, that is test??? (For which it works!)
On a side note, should the DC be able to use AD to manage the ISA?

Many Thanks in Advance!

Brandon

Post #: 1
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 28.Mar.2007 2:24:05 PM   
BrandonOz

I would just like at add that when i go into my ISA's computer management. Under the Administrators GROUP, my domain\Domain Admins is displayed as it should be, but also the SID follows??? This is something that for me raises alarm bells, am i correct or way of base?

Would someone pleae throw me a bone! (figuratively speaking)

B

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 2
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 29.Mar.2007 3:35:15 AM   
speedhost

Hi.

I had a similar issue.

I just bought a brand new HP DL380G5 with multifunction nics.

I installed it with windows 2003 SP2 and couldn't get RPC to work.
If I uninstalled SP2 it worked again.

I found out that I had to disable RSS to get RPC to work on SP2.

Thomas Shinder has released an article referring to a MS KB on how to disable RSS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927695

So if you are running windows 2003 SP2 and can't get RPC to it's
Probably because you're having issues with RSS.

(If you have a HP server you can disable RSS in the HP Network Configuration Utility)

Cheers.

< Message edited by speedhost -- 29.Mar.2007 3:54:16 AM >

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 3
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 29.Mar.2007 2:03:44 PM   
BrandonOz

I did see this article, and even before reinstalling ISA 2006 SE after reinstalling SP2, I went ahead and made the registry change as suggested by Microsoft. And of course to no avail it didn't make a dam thing change!

So, any other idea's, PLEASE!

B

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 4
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 30.Mar.2007 8:18:24 PM   
speedhost

Hi.

I can't figure out if you are having this issue on SP2 only ?

If not could you explain about your networks and the AD domain name.

rgds

Speedhost.

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 5
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 25.Apr.2007 8:28:28 AM   
Fermin

quote:

ORIGINAL: speedhost

Thomas Shinder has released an article referring to a MS KB on how to disable RSS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927695

So if you are running windows 2003 SP2 and can't get RPC to it's
Probably because you're having issues with RSS.

(If you have a HP server you can disable RSS in the HP Network Configuration Utility)

Cheers.

Thanks!!! You just made my day - I was starting to contemplate a new install of my ISA box, but it turns out your solution had my system running again smoothly in no time at all, without even restarting it (used the HP Network utility, not the reg hack).

Regards
Fermin

(in reply to speedhost)
Post #: 6
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 25.Apr.2007 6:27:30 PM   
BrandonOz

I opened a case with Microsoft 2 weeks ago regarding this matter and it still isnít resolved.

Microsoft admitted to me that there SP2 stuffed up my ISA 2006 server. I have been going around in circles with registry fixes and Microsoft patches with no luck to date. (Disabled RSS, Updated NIC drivers and about a million other ideas!)

I admit that I am using a "glorified workstation" as my ISA server but this shouldnít be the reason. (Even though I got that impression from Microsoft)

I am now replacing my ISA Server with a NEW piece of hardware that is infinitely better than what I have been using. I have a very strong feeling that once I import my settings into the new server that it will probably fail.

For the time being I had to disable the RPC filter and setup a special access rule from the ISA server to my Domain controller to keep things running until a fix is found. This setup was suggested by Microsoft themselves.

When and if I found the solution I will post it here. Until then anyone else that is having RPC issues with ISA I suggest the above mentioned suggestion if your desperate.

(in reply to Fermin)
Post #: 7
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 27.Apr.2007 11:01:11 AM   
tshinder

Hi Brandon,

So the temporary fix is to turn off the RPC filter and allow all traffic to and from the DC? That's what you have to do to get the Certificates MMC snap-in to work on the ISA Firewall too.

Did they imply that the hardware was too wimpy to run the ISA Firewall? Or was the machine being used as a file server, print server, etc?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 8
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 27.Apr.2007 2:25:30 PM   
BrandonOz

The PC is a dedicated ISA server with 1 external, 2 internal nics. It wasn't due to its "wimpyness" it was "implied" by Microsoft that since it had generic parts e.g. Family Ethernet Nic, that these parts hadnít been tested in a ISA environment and therefore should be changed.

And yes, since I disabled the RPC filter and created a rule to allow all outbound traffic specifically from the ISA server to the DC, I havenít had "THE" issues. But obviously this is not a good solution...

Brandon

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 27.Apr.2007 2:35:21 PM   
tshinder

That hardware doesn't sound very wimpy to me -- I'm not aware of an ISA hardware qualification program and there are no specific NICs that are made for ISA.

Hope they come up with a fix for this.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to BrandonOz)
Post #: 10
RE: Remote Procedure Call Failed - 5.Jun.2012 7:53:21 AM   
paugustyn

I have the issue with RPC server not avaliable
ISA 2006 Std SP1 (Win2003 Std Sp2 x86), I disabled Receive Side Scaling, The problem fix.
thanks for suggestions

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Remote Procedure Call Failed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts