• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA Server 2006 Migration Question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> ISA Server 2006 Migration Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA Server 2006 Migration Question - 4.May2007 3:08:56 PM   
kevlarstorm

I'm in the process of migrating from a ISA Server 2004 Standard server to a ISA Server 2006 Standard server. My question deals with the ISA Client settings in relation to the new server.

The clients are currently pointed to a ISA Server called serverA. This process is done by publishing the name of the server using the DHCP WPAD 252 process and port 80 on the ISA Server. I need point these clients to the new ISA Server. I figured the process would be as easy as changing the DHCP option to reflect the name of the new server.

However, this does not work. The clients continue to pick up the old server name even when DHCP is changed to reflect the new server. I can connect to a client and run the IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW commands. This and only this process (a reboot does not work) seems to cause the ISA client to reconfigure using the new server. Another piece of information that may be helpful is the fact that we use DHCP reservations to assign addresses.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario? Am I missing something in the process? Do DHCP reservations cause this issue? I'm sure I can write a script to run the IPCONFIG commands on startup but it would be interesting to find out why this happens.
Post #: 1
RE: ISA Server 2006 Migration Question - 5.May2007 3:11:29 PM   
tshinder

Hi Kev,

It takes six hours to update the client settings, or you can reboot the clients.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to kevlarstorm)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA Server 2006 Migration Question - 7.May2007 11:32:55 AM   
kevlarstorm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. As I stated in the question above, I would also expect that the clients would pick up the new ISA server settings after rebooting because of the DHCP refresh. However, this doesn't happen, it also doesn't happen after 6 hours. The only way to make the clients in this location automatically detect the new ISA server is to go through the ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew process. This seems to be the only way that the clients will automatically detect the new server within a managable timeframe. Any other help that you have would be great.

Thank you.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: ISA Server 2006 Migration Question - 8.May2007 2:10:05 PM   
tshinder

Hi Kev,

Hmmm. That's interesting. I've not noticed that before, but then, I never checked. You see the same thing with DNS wpad?

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to kevlarstorm)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> ISA Server 2006 Migration Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts