• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: WINS required for ISA 2006?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> RE: WINS required for ISA 2006? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WINS required for ISA 2006? - 6.Jun.2007 8:52:15 AM   
justmee

Hi guys,
I know that this is a little bit off topic and it is about Windows Server Loghorn but I'm not a fan of WINS so I'll post this.
Hold on tight, it's going to be a long one.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/windowsnet/06_0609_tn_wslong.mspx
quote:

Iain McDonald [MS] (Expert):
Q: WINS is not supported via IPV6 on LHS, is there a compatibility program being launched to test against Microsoft and 3rd party products in this configuration
A: wins is hardly my favorite component. In fact it is probably my least favorite thing. We really want to be able to run wins-less. But the important thing is how does netbios route in v6 domains. Personally I think we should make the change to ipv6 the thing that finally drives the nail in the wins coffin

Q: Will there be non-Netbios alternative to "My Network Places" ? I do not mind killing WINS, but users just LOVE to be able to see a list of computers in the org
A: yes a wins-less domain can do this. I guess there isn't much documentation on this - I'll get someone to write a whitepaper.

Q: Follow up to setting up domain controllers. Will there be better diagnostic information? Will you be getting rid of WINS finally?
A: 1) we are working on better stuff for easy config of dcs. & we want to get rid of wins.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/0b0bf633-5732-4b39-80d3-a2a4330acb141033.mspx?mfr=true
quote:

Global single names: The DNS Server service in Windows Server "Longhorn" provides a new zone type, the GlobalNames zone, that you can use to hold single-label names that can be unique across an entire forest, which eliminates the need to use the NetBIOS-based Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to provide support for single-label names.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/5/7/a575d225-e82e-4361-a830-9fc94ab2d099/DNS-GlobalNames-Zone-Deployment.doc
quote:

Today, numerous Microsoft customers deploy WINS technology and servers in their environment. WINS is an alternative name resolution protocol to DNS. It is an older service that uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT). WINS and NetBT do not support IPv6 protocols and both are entering legacy mode for Longhorn.
To help customers migrate to DNS for all name resolution the DNS Server role in Windows Server codename "Longhorn” supports a special GlobalNames Zone (GNZ) feature. Some customers in particular require the ability to have the static, global records with single-label names that WINS currently provides. These single-label names typically refer to records for important, well-known and widely-used servers for the company, servers that are already assigned static IP addresses and are currently managed by IT-administrators using WINS.

By default, DNS clients append suffixes that are obtained from several sources to resolve a single-label name.
For computers running either Windows® XP or Windows Vista™ the following DNS suffixes order is used:
1.    The primary DNS suffix, which is the domain that the client computer is joined to.
2.    The Group Policy configured DNS Suffix Search List. Further processing using DNS suffixes stops here.
3.    If there is no Group Policy:
a.    The connection-specific DNS suffix for each adapter is used.
b.    For Vista only, for IPv6 adapters using DHCPv6 servers only, if there is a connection-specific suffix search list configured via DHCPv6 servers for an adapter, the suffixes in the list are appended in order.
4.    If the name cannot be resolved via DNS by using various suffixes, the query fails over to WINS.
If you are retiring WINS or are planning on deploying IPv6-only in your environment, all name resolution will depend on DNS.
Many customers currently support name resolution for important servers or Web sites by using a single-label name. Such names are already registered in DNS for the domain that they belong to. Sometimes these names are also configured statically and globally in the WINS database.  
Without WINS name resolution, DNS Client is able to resolve single-label names by appending an appropriate list of suffixes to the name, which are then answered by the authoritative DNS Servers.
Notes
•    Due to the hierarchical nature of DNS, there is no guarantee that a name will be unique across multiple domains and/or forests, although a name will be unique in a given domain.
•    There is an upper bound on the query timeout limit of 12 seconds. Regardless of how many suffixes are configured for a DNS client, the query will time out and fall back to WINS resolution (if available) after 12 seconds.

Example
•    The company Contoso has an internal Web site which users typically access by typing http://mycontoso in the browser address bar.
•    The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Web server is mycontoso.itgroup.corp.contoso.com.
•    Group Policy for all the clients is configured with a DNS suffix search list consisting of the following:
o    engineering.corp.contoso.com
o    accounting.corp.contoso.com
o    itgroup.corp.contoso.com
o    corp.contoso.com
How the name is resolved:
1.    A user types in http://mycontoso into the browser address bar on a computer that is joined to the engineering.corp.contoso.com domain.
2.    The browser calls the GetAddrInfo() function to resolve the name mycontoso.
3.    GetAddrInfo() invokes DNS Client to resolve the name.
4.    DNS Client sends out the following qualified queries (based on the suffix search list):
a.    mycontoso.engineering.corp.contoso.com  Name Error
b.    mycontoso.accounting.corp.contoso.com  Name Error
c.    mycontoso.itgroup.corp.contoso.com  Success

If you are retiring WINS or are planning on deploying IPv6-only in your environment, all name resolution will depend on DNS.
Many customers currently support name resolution for important servers or Web sites by using a single-label name. Such names are already registered in DNS for the domain that they belong to. Sometimes these names are also configured statically and globally in the WINS database. 
Without WINS name resolution, DNS Client is able to resolve single-label names by appending an appropriate list of suffixes to the name, which are then answered by the authoritative DNS Servers.
For a customer with many domains, managing a suffix search list for all clients can be cumbersome, and client query performance is also somewhat is lowered when querying a single-label name with the list of domains. For environments that require both many domains and single-label name resolution of corporate server resources, GNZ provides a more scalable solution.
If you cannot configure the DNS client suffix search list for all computers requiring this single-label name functionality, and you also require that single-label names for servers are global and unique, then the GNZ might be suitable.

So let it be WINS-less!

< Message edited by justmee -- 6.Jun.2007 8:55:57 AM >

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 21
RE: WINS required for ISA 2006? - 6.Jun.2007 11:34:44 AM   
tshinder

I've installed Windows 2008 beta3 and there is no evidence that they have the single names support included yet. However, if they do get it in there, it would solve the WINS problem!

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to justmee)
Post #: 22

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> RE: WINS required for ISA 2006? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts