• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Authentication Issue Posts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Site & Message Boards] >> Message Boards Comments and Suggestions >> Authentication Issue Posts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Authentication Issue Posts - 4.Jul.2007 11:51:32 AM   
jmilito

Is it just me... It seems as if a lot of people have been asking questions about authentication issues of various sorts. Is this always a common topic or is it getting more common place? With that in mind, is there a really good, simple, and up-to-date resource for ISA 2004 SP3 (troubleshooting and diagnosing authentication issues) you guys would recommend? I found some stuff at MS...but I do not always think these are the best because they are often too verbose and rarely include screen shots

On another note...at least it would be nice to have a step-by-step questions that can help us help them. Often I am seeing posts but they don't include enough info...it then takes two or three responses and sometimes a couple days to get the correct information to even help troubleshooting. I think the moderators and others do very well trying to walk people through the steps but it seems as if a standard would help save some time.

Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Authentication Issue Posts - 5.Jul.2007 3:18:42 AM   
Michael Vella

Hi,

Regarding the authentication questions, I personally can't think of any resources although perhaps Tom could. Actually we could nudge Tom a bit and whisper in his ear, "Hey, it looks like some authentication articles would be well received..." <nudge nudge wink wink>

Regarding setting a template of how people should ask questions, that is a wonderful idealistic goal, but it just won't work. We maintain 4 separate forums. We try giving people guidelines but visitors just won't read them. Our visitors are also international and have varying degrees of English language knowledge. So unfortunately the best we can do is help everyone along, asking guiding questions, and be unfailingly polite.

Thanks for the suggestions though, keep 'em coming since we always would like to know what our visitors want to see.

See you on the forums!

Mike

ISAserver.org Moderator

(in reply to jmilito)
Post #: 2
RE: Authentication Issue Posts - 5.Jul.2007 9:27:23 AM   
jmilito

Thanks for the response... Actually I was thinking more of a post to refer people to that would help myself and others more successfully diagnose a problem. For example...

What is your configuration leaving out any personally identifiable information?

Obtaining information:
ipconfig /all

Example output

Etc...etc...etc...

Actually there wouldn't be too many etc because most problems are generally configuration based and you can usually get them on the IP configuration, DNS setup, or a rule set.

Anyway I will keep thinking and maybe even get up enough ambition to do a little write up myself and start a thread to refer people to. Hard to do that on vacation though.

Cheers.

(in reply to Michael Vella)
Post #: 3
RE: Authentication Issue Posts - 5.Jul.2007 12:39:21 PM   
tshinder

Authentication issues come up quite a bit, and the problem is most often related to DNS settings on the ISA Firewall or that they fogot to join the ISA Firewall to the domain.

There are some interesting Web proxy filter authentication issues that are covered in the MS papers. Maybe I'll use those as a base and provide some context and screenshots to make those concepts more readable.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to jmilito)
Post #: 4
RE: Authentication Issue Posts - 5.Jul.2007 12:48:31 PM   
jmilito

Thanks Tom...  The screen shots help a WHOLE BUNCH...especially when trying to help those that do not have a commanding knowledge of English.  Hope you had a nice 4th!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Site & Message Boards] >> Message Boards Comments and Suggestions >> Authentication Issue Posts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts