• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IMAP issues...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> IMAP issues... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IMAP issues... - 6.Jul.2007 3:28:44 PM   
x102020

Hey all,

I've got a problem I can't seem to solve.

I'm trying to setup imap on exchange 2003, but my isa 2006 is giving me a goofy error. I've tried googling the error with no luck.

Closed Connection    IMAP4    0x80074e21 FWX_E_ABORTIVE_SHUTDOWN  

All I'm trying to do is allow Internal imap (not external), but when i connect the imap, I'm getting the above error which gives me an error in outlook 'unable to connect to server'

I've created a publishing rule, as well as an access rule, and just for the sake of getting it working, I've allowed localhost & Internal access.

Now, before I get any deeper into this, we have smtp releay server (on the isa server). Logs seem to be pointing the imap to the relay server instead of staying local (I've checked exchange settings, they are not set to relay). Also, exchange server is on a seperate box from isa.

Do I need to setup an imap relay server the same way I did with smtp relay?

I'm thinking maybe I have my settings backwards, it seems to be doing the following:
10.1.1.10 (my pc) > 10.1.1.101 (gateway/smtp relay server/isa)
and then i get the error.

but I'm pretty sure I should be seeing something more complete like:
10.1.1.10 > 10.1.1.101
10.1.1.101 > 10.1.1.1 (exchange server)

thx,

< Message edited by x102020 -- 6.Jul.2007 3:32:28 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: IMAP issues... - 8.Jul.2007 9:17:23 PM   
Rotorblade

You're receiving a TCP RST on the IMAP traffic and before I go a little further maybe you can explain why youíre trying to relay through ISA (if that is what you want to call it) if the server is internal and not on the ISA local host itself. I can see if your server was in a perimeter network scenario but it sounds as if itís on the ISAís internal network. You should be accessing the internal server directly and not trying to access through ISA. Further more, the traffic is being dropped because there is basically no IMAP4 service physically listening on the ISA local host. (Only SMTP service) Publishing rules listen for inbound socket traffic on the external networks interface for a published server on the internal networks interface. You would to need to configure an outbound access rule not a publishing rule if you are passing traffic through ISA but it does not seem you even need to do that.

HTH
RB

(in reply to x102020)
Post #: 2
RE: IMAP issues... - 9.Jul.2007 8:25:02 AM   
x102020

Ya I should have explained our setup first. I've setup a back-to-back firewall setup, our FE firewall is sonicwall (which carries a perimiter network between sonicwall & ISA server (mainly just used for or dmz vpn, and yes, I know I could put the dmz on the isa, but i want them entirely seperate and not on ISA what so ever).
Anyways, BE is ISA, which is the gateway. I think the trace I was doing was showing the trace from my computer to the gateway (which is the ISA server, which is were I was getting the error). It didn't seem to even make it back to the exchange server. I've checked my rules and they are pointing to the exchange server & not the isa server.

I'm not trying to relay any Imap through ISA, although since it is the gateway, it still passes through, thus needs internal access. And yes you are correct, it is on the ISA Internal network.

As far as access it directly, that is what I am trying to accomplish, but regardless, it still needs to pass through the gateway (which is ISA), even to make a 'direct' connection.

i hope that helps in the explination.
---
just to update, I've recreated the access rule, it allows imap4 & imap4 server (ill setup secure later), from and to are both internal.when set like this, i get default block, it still is trying to get to localhost (isa). now if i set both from and to as internal & localhost, i get the error as mentioned previous.

still stuck, and still need aid.

i have a question, could I not publish it internally only?

thx,

< Message edited by x102020 -- 9.Jul.2007 12:30:05 PM >

(in reply to Rotorblade)
Post #: 3
RE: IMAP issues... - 9.Jul.2007 3:57:58 PM   
x102020

just to update, i fixed the problem, I had a typo in my fqdn in dns....gahhh..

(in reply to x102020)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> IMAP issues... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts