• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Misc.] >> ISA Firewall Coffee Shop >> Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 13.Jul.2007 9:34:36 AM   
elmajdal

Hi ,

I read a lot of posts that say "i like ISA Server and want to use it, BUT my Manager does not trust it cuz its installed on a Windows System" !!

Well, for anyone who has such manager  , refer this link to him/her : http://blogs.technet.com/isablog/archive/2007/07/08/is-it-secure-to-put-edge-firewall-on-windows-box.aspx

Thanks,
Tarek

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net
Post #: 1
RE: Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 13.Jul.2007 3:26:14 PM   
ferrix

Yep.. it's secure, featureful, and awesome.  Also unlike a PIX it doesn't take a weird serial cable and a support agreement to update the software.

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 20.Mar.2008 3:12:04 PM   
jackstevens_100

Yerh blinking Pix firewalls they are the biggest pain in the bum but i have found that when they are configured correctly they are best thow i still perfure ISA server i use ISA and PIX one infront of the othere:
ISA<----PIX<-----<Internet Connection>
yerh i would say it is very secure not the best but i would say it is one of the best

THE I.T TCAT Student

(in reply to ferrix)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 24.May2008 10:07:15 AM   
HePa

Interesting post link you've posteed Tarek.
I like to read information like this one and it's a very common discussion. I've heard alot of Security vs. Windows server system and MS technologies. There are alot of people that don't think that MS don't deliver secure products and don't have any knowledge in securtity...which I think not is true! There were a period in tim where the security was sh*t in many OS systems from MS, just take a look at NT 4 and some parts of Windows 2000 server, and one component shiped with this product > IIS 5.Yes, there were many sceurity holes and issues in those products but today I would say that those who still think that the products from MS are not secure might ask them self the question again. ISA server 2006 is tested and have reached the level +4 from CC (Commin Criteria) which is the highest possilble level! For more information of CC go to http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/commoncriteria/default.mspx.

Ant way, I agree with those who said that NT 4 and Windows 2000 server wasn't secure...but those who say the same thing about ISA server 2006, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 maby don't have reviewed those products as well as they should. Of course other products as CISCO ASA, Chepoint Firewall 1 etc. are good as well but ISA server 2006 is a secure product....and I think that MS and ISA server 2006 will get more respect on the security in the matter of time. I think that many don't know the power of the products and refer to the old products which security was a major issue.

All for me!

HePa

(in reply to jackstevens_100)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 16.Jul.2008 10:37:34 AM   
justmee

And here is another interesting one, you might know this guy:
http://jeremiahgrossman.blogspot.com/2008/05/blue-hat-2008.html
Cheers!
J

(in reply to HePa)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? - 16.Jul.2008 12:42:37 PM   
pwindell

quote:

HePa said:
Ant way, I agree with those who said that NT 4 and Windows 2000 server wasn't secure...but

I would even challenge that.  Securety is context related, and time related or historically related.  It is measured against the threat environment only at the moment in time that you measure it.  Security is a moving target.

NT4 was secure,... 12 years ago in 1996 when it came out.  How?,...the Internet had not even become widely available to the Public yet,..it was at least another year before it was available in my home town and then it would have taken a year or two for hackers to come up with exploits. 

Windows 2000 was secure,...in 2001(?) when it came out.

MS Proxy2 was secure,...back when it came out (year?).

ISA2006SP1 and TMG are very secure,...now,...10 to 12 years from now they may only be as secure as Windows95 is today.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to HePa)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Misc.] >> ISA Firewall Coffee Shop >> Is it secure to put edge firewall on Windows box? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts