• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Server publishing rule with authentication

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Server Publishing >> Server publishing rule with authentication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server publishing rule with authentication - 19.Jul.2007 3:28:45 PM   
moreauer

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to publish a server with strong authentication ??? 

My network is divided in 7 area and some area can communicate with others by virtual firewall and some area cannot communicate with others.  Only 1 area can communicate with all the area.  I know it's complicated but it was built this way before my time...

My ISA server as a network card in area 1 and 2.  Area 2 is considered my "external" network and Area 1 is considered "internal" (Area 1 can comuunicate with all the area by virtual firewall).  I want to publish a terminal server in my "inside" network to my "external" network but I want to have strong authentication for those users (in "external" network) who will use the terminal server.

Server publishing rule does not have any authentication at all.

Right now, I use my virtual firewall to authenticate but I was hoping that I could do that with ISA 2006 Enterprise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... 

Thanks in advance...

Eric
Post #: 1
RE: Server publishing rule with authentication - 19.Jul.2007 3:59:03 PM   
ferrix

Well let's see.. you're not talking about application layer auth it seems, but rather at a lower level.  Sounds like a site-to-site VPN situation, or use IPSec.  This is a bit out of my expertise so other people please chime in!

(in reply to moreauer)
Post #: 2
RE: Server publishing rule with authentication - 19.Jul.2007 4:26:23 PM   
moreauer

I was more looking at RADIUS for authentication...  Like in a web server publishing rule, in the "listener".  I was hoping that I could do the same with a server publishing rule...  The users have already connected to the domain but the security team wants the area 1 VERY secur.  So that's why I have to put strong authentication for every communication to this area.

As for the VPN, I did check it out a bit but it seems too much for what I want.  Some users will connect to the domain using a VPN from home to area 2 and they will have to connect to another VPN to go to area 1...  Sounds weird but if that's what it takes to work, I'll look into it more...

As for IPSec, it's the same for me, it's a bit out of my expertise.

So anyone else ???

By the way, thanks again for your time ferrix

Eric

(in reply to moreauer)
Post #: 3
RE: Server publishing rule with authentication - 19.Jul.2007 4:32:17 PM   
ferrix

You can't compare to web publishing or proxy because in both those cases the authentication is being done at the application level (meaning in HTTP)

In order to do something similar with other application protocols, you need proxy-like intelligence comparable to what is done for http.  ISA doesn't have full proxies and authenticators for other protocols, so if you want those features you have to look to third party filters (we've done some of those in the past).

But if your needs can be solved by a lower layer such as IPSec or vpn link, it will sure be faster and cheaper (and also apply to all traffic over that link, instead of one protocol or the other)

(in reply to moreauer)
Post #: 4
RE: Server publishing rule with authentication - 20.Jul.2007 8:12:40 AM   
moreauer

Thanks ferrix, 

I'll give that to my project manager and see what he'll say.

Eric

(in reply to moreauer)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Server Publishing >> Server publishing rule with authentication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts