• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 23.Aug.2007 8:23:06 PM   
ajohnson

I just set up a new server.  I made a slipstream image of windows 2003 server std with sp2 and did the following:

1) Installed 2003 server w/sp2
2) Ran windows update & installed everything critical, software, drivers, except for IE7
3) joined the domain
4) installed ISA 2004 std
5) installed ISA 2004 sp3
6) upon re-boot, noticed that it took a long time to get to ctrl-alt-del, and after login, log time processing user settings.

I then opened ISA mgmt and attempted to create an "Authorized Internet Users" User set.  Clicking Add & selecting "windows users and groups", changing the location to the domain rather than local computer, entered a partial name "Internet" to grab the domain group "Internet Users".  It matched several things on the domain with "internet" in them, so I clicked "Internet Users" and then Ok.

After about 1 minute with an hourglass, I get "Unable to add the group Internet Users because of the following: RPC Server Unavailable".

I tried changing the tcpip registry setting "EnableRSS" to 0, but it didn't help.

I tried modifying the bindings & network settings as mentioned elsewhere on this board, no luck.

I disabled the RPC filter and it's working, but I don't think I should've done that.

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 3.Sep.2007 11:13:37 AM   
tshinder

Sounds like the Windows 2003 SP2 RSS and TCP networking bug. Fix that and all should be well.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to ajohnson)
Post #: 2
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 5.Sep.2007 7:36:18 PM   
ajohnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: tshinder
Sounds like the Windows 2003 SP2 RSS and TCP networking bug.
Isn't that fixed by this:
quote:

ORIGINAL:ajohnson
I tried changing the tcpip registry setting "EnableRSS" to 0, but it didn't help.
Or did I miss something?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 5.Sep.2007 8:49:21 PM   
ajohnson

Minor update: 

After a reboot, it takes a very very very long time to log-in to the server.  In the event log is an application event log error #1053: "Windows cannot determine the user or computer name" when I log in to the console or via RDP.  During this period, if I open internet explorer on a web proxy client, that user gets prompted for a username/password, which is never accepted.

After about 15 minutes, it clears up.  Logging in to the console and/or via RDP does not generate any error messages and the server appears to behave fine.

I run a split-dns setup, with an internal dns server on my domain controller, and another dns server for external resolving on a different ISA box.  That other ISA box is fine.

(in reply to ajohnson)
Post #: 4
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 6.Sep.2007 5:12:29 AM   
elmajdal

Set these keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableRSS (set to 0)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableTCPA (set to 0)
EnableTCPChimney and EnableSecurityFilters (both 0)

For more information:

You may experience network-related problems after you install Windows Server 2003 SP2 or the Scalable Networking Pack on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer that has an advanced network adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to ajohnson)
Post #: 5
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 6.Sep.2007 8:12:25 PM   
ajohnson

That seems to have done it!!

As I mentioned before, I did already have the EnableRSS set to 0.  I just didn't detail that it was on that registry key.  I also had EnableTCPA and EnableSecurityFilters set to 0.

EnableTCPChimney was set to 1, so I changed it to 0.  I then installed the hotfix from your link at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594 and rebooted. 

Instead of sitting at "Loading personal settings" for 5 minutes, it blipped past that so fast I almost missed it, switching to "Applying personal settings".  That took maybe 30 seconds to go away, which is about normal for a just-booted server if you log in as soon as you see the ctrl-alt-del prompt.

I immediatly fired up a remote desktop from my workstation and logged in.  It let me in immediatly.  I looked in the event log, and there are no "RPC Server unavailable" errors in the system log, and no "Windows cannot determing the user or computer name" in the application log.

Web browsing with proxy settings turned on worked immediatly too.  No prompts for username/password.

Everything looks good.  I was about ready to blow it away, re-install with my 2003sp1 disc, and put my slipstreamed 2003sp2 disc in the shredder.  Maybe I should see if I can add kb936594 to it and make a new disc.

THANK YOU!

I'll probably try re-enabling the RPC filter, but not right now.

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 6
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 7.Sep.2007 12:46:09 AM   
elmajdal

Hi,

Glad it worked, and thanks for the follow up

Tarek Majdalani

(in reply to ajohnson)
Post #: 7
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 27.Nov.2007 12:19:32 AM   
Scummo

Just an addition to this, you might need to change your network card advanced setting "Receive Side Scaling" to disabled as well.

Thanks,
LjP

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 8
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 27.Nov.2007 3:41:49 PM   
elmajdal

Hi Scummo,

its already been taken care of this in my previous post
quote:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableRSS (set to 0)

Tarek Majdalani

(in reply to Scummo)
Post #: 9
RE: RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group - 11.Mar.2011 6:56:50 AM   
desuzep

My problem was solved by removing receive side scaling on my Broadcom BCM5708C netXtreme II GigE network cards since the registry settings were set correctly to (0)

desuzepp

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation >> RPC Server Unavailable adding domain group Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts