• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

WCCP vs WPAD for ISA?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 30.Aug.2007 3:37:32 PM   
ITGuy85

We are looking at automating IE proxy configuration across the enterprise. WPAD looks like a good solution, given that ISA can automatically generate the wpad.dat files. However, it will require altering all of the scopes in our DHCP servers and make a GPO change to force IE automatic proxy configuration.

One of the team members raised the question of using WCCP as an alternative to WPAD. It is supposed to be transparent to the clients, so no DHCP or IE configuration changes would be needed.

What is the feeling on using WCCP over WPAD? It looks like routers need to support the protocol, in addition to the extra load it places on the routers. Does ISA work transparently with WCCP as a web proxy?

Can other applications such as FTP use WCCP?

Any information would be appreciated in terms of pro/cons and comparison of the two. WPAD configuration doesn't seem like a significant effort, but some feel WCCP would be more transparent and easier.
Post #: 1
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 18.Oct.2007 4:44:07 AM   
Jason Jones

If DHCP is a problem, have you considered using WPAD with DNS?

From memory, I have not heard of anyone using WCCP with ISA - I think most people go with WPAD as configuration then becomes ISA-centric.

This background may help: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/isa/2006/auto_discovery.mspx

Cheers

JJ

< Message edited by Jason Jones -- 18.Oct.2007 4:56:16 AM >

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to ITGuy85)
Post #: 2
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 16.Sep.2009 4:43:15 PM   
gltrusty

Hello,

I would like to raise the topic of WCCP once again.  We're using WPAD to configure our managed web clients.  It works great.

However, we have a requirement to provide guest Internet access.  Since we have no control over the clients connecting to our guest network, we can make no assumptions on their browser settings (i.e. autoconfigure, pac, static, etc).  This means we must rely on the network to route web traffic to our ISA proxy.  Since the default route does not and cannot point to ISA, about the only option I've found is WCCP. 

My intention is to use WCCP to route web traffic to the ISA proxy and all other traffic to the Internet firewall (not ISA).  I don't believe I can route guest traffic other than port 80/443/21 to ISA because I can't enforce or manage the ISA FW Client on guest PC's.  I want to route web traffic to ISA primarily to leverage the web filter.

I've found some articles that lead me to believe WCCP isn't supported on ISA.  I'm wondering if it's only the caching function that's not supported.  I can't find those details.  We're not currently doing any CARP on our guest ISA servers so I'm guessing caching incompatibility of WCCP and CARP shouldn't be an issue.

I plan to get this setup in a lab soon but wanted to pose the question to all the ISA experts on this forum to see if anyone has been down this path and if so, did it work?

Thanks for all the great information.  This site has been a great resource for me for some time!  I really appreciate it!

Lee

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 11.Jan.2010 3:25:32 PM   
bigmikeh1965

any luck with this?

(in reply to gltrusty)
Post #: 4
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 30.Jan.2011 11:24:03 PM   
nerygonzalez

Hi, all!

I know this is an old post, but, here's my question:

What can I do if inside my network some client circumvent the use of IE (which have configured and disabled the proxy options to users for changes) and they install Firefox or Safari or Chrome.

I know some of you would say to disable those user (or users in general) to install software in their computers. We have already done that, but, we've come across some users using portable versions of the browsers mentioned above.

How can I force them to pass through the proxy, is there any way?

Thanks in advanced!

(in reply to bigmikeh1965)
Post #: 5
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 8.Mar.2011 4:02:46 PM   
pwindell

quote:

However, it will require altering all of the scopes in our DHCP servers and make a GPO change to force IE automatic proxy configuration.

No,...you do it in the Server Options,..not the Scope Options,...so it is only done once in one place on each DHCP Server.   So your reason for not wanting to do this is flawed.  so just do it with WPAD.

WPAD should always be done on both DHCP and DNS at the same time.  In fact the DHCP Setting should use the CNAME you created in DNS so that replacing the proxy is covered by simply changing the CNAME in the DNS and the rest remains unchanged.

Never heard of WCCP,...don't know what to tell you there.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to jannypan)
Post #: 6
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 11.Oct.2011 3:14:03 AM   
shenglu

Since we do not connect the client to our customers control of the network, we can make them any assumptions browser settings (ie auto-configuration, PAC, static, etc.). This means that we must rely on the network routing Web traffic, our ISA proxy.

Gadgets | Flash Memory

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 7
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 31.Dec.2011 12:52:16 AM   
jerry0503214

I've found some articles that lead me to believe WCCP isn't supported on ISA.  I'm wondering if it's only the caching function that's not supported.  I can't find those details.  We're not currently doing any CARP on our guest ISA servers so I'm guessing caching incompatibility of WCCP and CARP shouldn't be an issue.

(in reply to shenglu)
Post #: 8
RE: WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? - 31.Dec.2011 1:09:16 PM   
pwindell

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenglu
Since we do not connect the client to our customers control of the network, we can make them any assumptions browser settings (ie auto-configuration, PAC, static, etc.). This means that we must rely on the network routing Web traffic, our ISA proxy.

1. Then the only option you have are SecureNAT Clients.
2. Authentication is not possible.
3. Access Control by anything other than IP#s is impossible.
4. Even Access Control by IP# has very little use if clients have random IP#s via DHCP

See the built in Help in ISA for descriptions of the three Client Types, and what their charateristics and limitations are.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to shenglu)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> WCCP vs WPAD for ISA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts