Noobice question - ISA configuration (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Installation

Remy Lebeau -> Noobice question - ISA configuration (20.Sep.2007 9:31:50 PM)

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head around how to configure ISA server, and need a bit of guidance.  I've read bits and pieces but haven't been able to put it together in my head.

If I understand correctly, in a "edge" configuration( LAN -> ISA -> WAN), the ISA server gets assigned a DNS server and GATEWAY address ONLY on the LAN side.

My question then is, how does the ISA server know where to send packet requests for the internet?!?!???  It just doesn't seem to make sense.  I currently have it setup so that the LAN and WAN both have DNS server addresses, and the WAN side has a gateway IP (and this seems to work... albeit with some issues)

Any assistance appreciated!

elmajdal -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (21.Sep.2007 12:08:56 AM)

Hi,

quote:

the ISA server gets assigned a DNS server and GATEWAY address ONLY on the LAN side.

NO!! where did u read this !

DNS only on Internal NIC.
Gateway Only on External NIC

read this : http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring_ISA_Server_Interface_Settings.html

HTH,
Tarek

Remy Lebeau -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (21.Sep.2007 1:54:12 AM)

Thanks elmajdal, very useful!

I still don't understand this part though "Your internal network needs some method of resolving Internet names."  doesn't that imply that my internal network is connected to the internet some way OTHER than the ISA server?  Or does that mean that my DNS server connected to the internet through the ISA server to retrieve DNS updates?

EDIT: Thanks for that link, it's very informative, I'll work through that then let you know if I still have issues!

elmajdal -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (21.Sep.2007 2:57:42 AM)

Hi Remy,

You should have an Internal DNS Server that would forward external requests to your ISP DNS Servers.

check my article here : http://elmajdal.net/isaserver/Internal_DNS_Forwarding.aspx

HTH,
Tarek

Remy Lebeau -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (23.Sep.2007 8:40:12 PM)

thanks elmajdal.  Very helpful!

It seems to be running ok now, however I can't connect to the ISA server via RDC, I have to log on locally.

As far as I can tell I've enabled RDC on the ISA server, and created a firewall rule to allow internal connections to RDC.  However I can't access it (I can't ping it either which I don't know if this is related).  The web proxy works fine though.

Any suggestions?

Remy Lebeau -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (23.Sep.2007 11:06:47 PM)

I've found the problem.  In the firewall system policies I had to add my machine to the terminal services allowed list.

elmajdal -> RE: Noobice question - ISA configuration (24.Sep.2007 1:52:49 AM)

Hi,

Glad it worked and thanks for the follow up.

Keep this article in your favorites : http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyadmin/archive/2006/01/18/ISA-2004-Remote-Administration.aspx

if you want to enable ping , although its not recommended, check the ICMP System Policy

Page: [1]