• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Linking a third party proxy to ISA

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Web Proxy] >> General >> Linking a third party proxy to ISA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linking a third party proxy to ISA - 6.Feb.2008 1:56:02 PM   
BobW

We have two offices with two subnets. The offices are attached via a fractionated T1.

Our only internet connection and only ISA 2006 box is located in our primary office.  All of the internet traffic from our secondary office goes through our fractionated T1 and out/in our ISA box in the primary office.

I was thinking of installing a proxy in our secondary office in order to help with their internet traffic.  All it would do would be to cache some of the internet stuff for the secondary office, no firewall etc.

Would it work to use a preconfigured VM running squid?http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/577

Or would it better to use a copy of ISA 2004 or ISA 2000 with Windows 2000?  NOTE:  I have copies of ISA 2004/2000 I am not using as we have upgraded to 2006, but I do NOT have a spare copy of W2K3.

Thanks,
Bob
Post #: 1
RE: Linking a third party proxy to ISA - 15.Feb.2008 2:18:27 PM   
jmilito

I would use the ISA 2004 if I had to make the choice and could not obtain any additional funds for ISA 2006.  Why not use it as a firewall as well?  You may also want to consider installing a packet shaping appliance or something at the branch to optimize your traffic and give priorities to business critical apps.

(in reply to BobW)
Post #: 2
RE: Linking a third party proxy to ISA - 15.Feb.2008 5:32:33 PM   
BobW

Interestingly enough, I setup an ISA 2004 box just to mess with it.

The next issue I am running into is the Wpad via DHCP.  As our sites are using the same domain/DNS, I am going to have to use DHCP for wpad (at least as far as I understand) as the dns wpad will not be abel to differentiate between the subnets.

I began working with that and my clients started to have troubles.

As for packet shaping, my guess is it will cost prohibitive unless I can find a sofwtare based system (maybe a preconfigured appliance).  This opens up a whole host of questions....

Thanks,
Bob

< Message edited by BobW -- 15.Feb.2008 5:36:05 PM >

(in reply to jmilito)
Post #: 3
RE: Linking a third party proxy to ISA - 18.Feb.2008 4:22:40 PM   
jmilito

ISA 2004 has had a lot of work since it's initial release.  Be sure you have all the patches on both ISA and your OS or your test may not go well.  You will want to download, install, and run the ISA BPA tool to be sure you have the big issues addressed.

Tom has a really good article on WPAD on this site as well as a nice tutorial in his ISA 2004 book.  You should take a look at them both.  I have several subnets and WPAD here...  It is possible to set it up as long as you have a sound DNS infrastructure and properly configured routes.

(in reply to BobW)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Web Proxy] >> General >> Linking a third party proxy to ISA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts